Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sociology PhD

Options
  • 05-09-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hello ladies and gents. I have been looking up old PhD threads but I've still got some queries.

I have a degree and Masters. I'm working this year while trying to decide on what topic to write about etc. I want to know how far advanced I'd need to be on a topic before approaching a potential supervisor? I have two areas that I think I'd like to go for. One of the areas I'm passionate about but the other area (in relation to the internet and society) would probably have more research opportunities (and I do like it but not in love with it if you know what I mean). I haven't totally settled on exactly what topic to do or what angle. It's hard to identify a real original opportunity (you know, to get the very specific research question in order). I'm just wondering how any of you PhD students here approached your supervisors. The topics I'm interested in are different to my MA thesis and so my MA supervisor wouldn't be appropriate despite my getting along well with her.

Also, how long did it take you to get a proposal together (including researching it and writing it?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

No matter what you think of, someone will have done something similar before. First year is all about finding out what it is you will be doing. The reality of supervised research is that you will be cut loose for most of your work - a potential supervisor wants to see that you know your trade and have a reasonably specific area in mind to work on, not a binding roadmap for your 4 years.

Whatever you decide to work on, it will change throughout your first year. Not your subdiscipline, probably not your empirical area, but certainly your focus within either, if not both. This is where your original contribution comes from, reviewing what was done, taking your own ideas and seeing what could be learned by doing something a different way, in a different area, at a different time etc...

A year is more than enough time to get over this, you will probably have the bones of a lit review by the time you're done. The best advice I can give you is to go with what you will enjoy, not what may be most topical or useful. You will live this subject and area for 4 years if not more, make sure you like it. A doctorate is a doctorate and your topic is just one aspect of your overall life experience at the end of it (along with teaching, writing and research practice)

Alternatively call into pg2 for a chat when semester starts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

Thank you for your most informative answer, Mr. Efla ;) I now have paved a clear pathway for my academic proceedings.

I am slightly annoyed with myself as I probably could have just applied to begin this year. However, I suppose I have afforded myself more time to really think about what it is I want to do (and to watch those Ally McBeal (oh, and David Bowie) DVDs that had been sitting gathering dust since Christmas ;))

The only area that I am passionate about is music. My undergraduate thesis related to the area of club culture. However, I do know of some clear areas regarding media and society that really require sociological research. It's a tough decision that I'm going to think about some more!

Based on my MA research I can clearly identify with your saying the topic will change over the course of the year.

That was honestly the most clear and informative answer I have ever received on this issue and I am most appreciative of your efforts. Thank you very much. I just wish I had enquired a few months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

Advertisement