Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W3A 7e

Options
  • 05-09-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi , im trying to pick up W3A 7e for broadsat sattorrent internet.I have an 80cm lidl dish hooked up to a Skystar2 pci card.The best signal that I can get is 63% quality and 8db SNR. I can only pick up this signal when the LNB's skew is at around 80 degrees (See picture) Transponder settings are

11262Mhz
    Frequency : 1512mhz
    Symbol Rate : 27531kS/s
    FEC : 3/4
    Polarity : Horizontal/Left (High)

I was told that because the transponder is Horizontal that this is why my LNB has to be at such an extreme angle, Is this correct ? Also I get a lot of rain fade and signal drops to around 40% and SNR of 6 - 7dB .

Anyone any Ideas what can be done ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I've never installed off that bird myself but I did see one at a newly built house I was installing Sky in the other day and it was exactly as you have shown but it was a dual LNB...looks weird alrite but they complained it wasnt very efficient at the best of times either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Thats strange? Its on the strong euro A beam as well. Just check your symbol rate, i think it should be 27500. But the LNB position is well strange. Ive seen some LNBS skewed but not that extreme. One thought is it a H polorasiation or a L? I think this is different. Thor at 1 west used to use R & L polaraiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Pokes wrote: »
    I can only pick up this signal when the LNB's skew is at around 80 degrees (See picture)

Transponder settings are
    Frequency : 1512mhz
    Symbol Rate : 27531kS/s
    FEC : 3/4
    Polarity : Horizontal/Left (High)

http://www.lyngsat.com/ew3a.html is the same for polarisation

maybe the info is incorrect and the polarity is actually Vertical?
    Set receiver to Vertical then the Skew will then be only 10 degrees the other way (90 degree turn back from the way it is now)

Or else there is an issue with your equipment and is actually receiving V instead of H (twisting LNB 90 degrees brings in the opposite polarisation).

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Yeah , i set the polarisation to vertical and the signal dropped , rotated the lnb back to where it would be normally and signal came back.Weird huh , maybe they just put in wrong info on the website ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Turning your LNB like that shouldn't need to be done when only using one way satellite internet. It's different when you're also transmitting as you need to polarise the BUC/LNB unit.

I've used OpenSky in the past, long time ago and nothing special or different had to be done at all.

Methinks it's just that you've your settings wrong, I've attached a screenshot from the SatCatcher software I got free with one of the VSAT meters we use for W3A - might help you a bit with settings.

You should, if all is right with cable, connectors, settings etc., be really getting around 80% or more signal. That Lidl dish, although fine for TV, might not be the best for data reception. When I had that OpenSky system, I got it years ago with a deal they were doing that included a dish and LNB. First thing I had to do was change the LNB as it's reception was terrible. The lidl dish and lnb is cheap and cheerful.

That roof in the pic might also be causing some interference and degrading the signal being received.

• Advertisement
Advertisement