Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me select which MBA to select from

Options
  • 05-09-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,
    I work full time 9-5:30 and have a busy schedule at work. I want to do my MBA and have been accepted at a couple of placed:
    1)Griffith College: 3 evenings a week
    2) University of Wales(distance learning MBA www.rdi.co.uk)

I would like to find out which one would be more valuable. The University of Wales online DL MBA is obviously the easier option and its much cheaper as well.Given my busy schedule this might be the option to take if I want to do it in my own time.
    However would I be wasting cash here? Would I be better off going to Griffith even though I will be a bit hard pushed doing it and keeping the balance between the MBA,work and social life.

Would appreciate your opinions on which option to go for...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What are you hoping to get out of your mba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mark_1981

damnyanks wrote: »
    What are you hoping to get out of your mba?

Hi I suppose carrier progression.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mark_1981 wrote: »
    Hi I suppose carrier progression.....

You want to progress onto one of these? :confused:

aircraft-carrier-in-motion01.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Griffith College for sure.

If you do distance learning you will be far more likely to put off
    studying online leading to an eventual waste of cash.

The "real" lectures in Griffith College will be far more valuable
    and easer to take in than messing around online.

Either way it will be very tough along with a full time job, you
    need to be prepared for misery. It will pay off in the end. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Just remember - an MBA is in this world in effect the purchase of a brand. So, ask which brand is better....or worth it at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mark_1981

Thanks for the advice everyone.....I will go for griffith I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fergus08

My advise would be to do neither. As another poster said, with an MBA you're essentially buying a brand. If you've considered a distance learning MBA with University of Wales, then you might consider the Open University. The OU MBA is triple accredited. The two key accreditations are Association of MBAs (AMA) and the European Foundation for Management Development (Equis). Its only one of 21 MBAs that have three accrediatations. I'm sure that even TCD or UCD have all three. You'd need to check whether GCD or Wales are accredited by Equis or AMA. I suspect not. Its a lot of cash, time and effort to spend on a qualification that isn't accredited, if you do take the GCD or Wales option. These things are important considerations when contemplating an MBA. Just as it wouldn't be wise take a degree in Ireland that wasn't HETAC accredited, then taking an MBA that is accredited may be a risky proposition. I stress the "may be", perhaps GCD and Wales are well regarded. From a passing knowledge of the OU MBA it seems to me that several prominent public servants have done this course. For intance, the head of the private security regulatory agency, I can't remember the person's name or the name of the agency. Having studied with both the OU and GCD I can state that making your way over to the South Circular after work three or four nights a week isn't easy. Face to face lectures are not all they're cracked up to be, particularly if you're knackered after a tough day at work. On the other hand, studying at your own pace with the OU, while still tough, is that bit easier as you just need to get home after work and then put in an hour or two's work. Also, remember that the OU MBA puts a good bit of emphasis on study weekends, tutorial groups etc. So, you won't lack contact with fellow students. The OU requires self-discipline but an aspiring MBA shouldn't be lacking in that. Whichever choice you make, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Personally I would only do an expensive MBA from a prestigious University. If I had to do an MBA in Ireland it would have to be either Trinity or UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yes it's all about brand. At the very least you should be looking at UCD - it's got a good name in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

I don't mean to be elitist but theres only about 10 MBA's worth doing in Europe if you want to gain a lot from it. LBS, Insead, HEC, Cambridge etc. as shown here: http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings

The whole point of MBAs is the networking opportunites they provide and the people you meet on the course. I can't imagine griffith or UoW is going to have international top preformers. If you are doing this qualification for personal enjoyment then fair enough but in terms of added value to your career,dont take either of those options.

The massive expansion in 4th level employment has saturated the market and in the last 2/3 years there has been a 'flight to quality' by the top employers.If anything having a no-name institution on your CV will put people off rather than appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

DJDC wrote: »
    I don't mean to be elitist but theres only about 10 MBA's worth doing in Europe if you want to gain a lot from it. LBS, Insead, HEC, Cambridge etc. as shown here: http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings

The whole point of MBAs is the networking opportunites they provide and the people you meet on the course. I can't imagine griffith or UoW is going to have international top preformers. If you are doing this qualification for personal enjoyment then fair enough but in terms of added value to your career,dont take either of those options.

I can see your point about going to one of the good European schools if the OP was hoping to get a job with the likes of Goldman Sachs or McKinsey, but if he is just looking to get a boost in his current career in Ireland then there may be a more cost-effective solution for him than heading to LBS for two years.

As you rightly point out the networking opportunities are a big part of any MBA experience, and I would think the contacts made in a local Irish MBA program would possibly be more help to someone who is planning to work in the local market.

I do agree that the value of UoW or Griffith may be limited - somewhere like Smurfit or Trinity would probably provide a better local network.

(And on the elitist front, I found it rather funny that LBS came out 2nd in the FT rankings - it has a very a good MBA program, but I personally would put several others ahead of it internationally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

As you rightly point out the networking opportunities are a big part of any MBA experience, and I would think the contacts made in a local Irish MBA program would possibly be more help to someone who is planning to work in the local market.

Fair enough but it really depends on what industry he is working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

DJDC wrote: »
    Fair enough but it really depends on what industry he is working in.

No argument from me - if he was working in IB or strategy consulting then LBS/INSEAD/wherever might make sense.

Given that the OP was considering UoW and Griffith, my guess is that he is *not* in an industry/career where the benefit of an MBA from a top school will outweigh the opportunity cost of doing the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

I really wouldnt bother doing an MBA part time or by distance. I understand it may be the only practical way but one of the main benefits of an MBA is to emerse yourself in research and study for a year (or 2). An MBA is completely different from an undergrad in that it really doesnt matter that you graduate, you have to be able to back it up when you have an MBA, thats why its so hands on. Theres no point getting an MBA just to have the letters after your name and make you more attractive to employers because you will be going for executive positions which the employers will expect you to be able to handle. Dont treat an MBA as just another pice of paper/qualification because its completely different.

My advice- dont do either. do some more research on why you want an MBA and what it will do for you.

In my experience MBA's are best suited to people who have expert knowledge in a non business related industry and simply wish to convert what they know into business (ie a solicitor wants to start their own firm or become a partner) or someone who is in management and wants to break into senior management/executive position.

Due to the amount of investment I wouldnt recommend doing an MBA unless you are very clear what you want to get from it. To get the most from it you should do it full time

Plus as somebody said- wher eyou get your MBA is of great importance (If you dont have to do a GMAT as an entry requirement then I would be very wary of the college)

Advertisement