Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR MANUFACTURING 4X4'S

Options
  • 05-09-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

now 1st thing i will say is i have no offroading experience but when I see BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Lexus 4X4's flying round the place I cant help but think why?? If your looking for an off roader then surely a land rover, landcruiser etc would be better, Iff yer looking for a sports or executive saloon then surely an M5, IS200 etc would be better. From what Im told these 4X4's are crap off road, and they aint much better on it, so whats the point??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There isn't any ...which seems to be just enough of a point for people to buy them just because of that, or so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

suppose some people just like to be able to look over the hedges as they are driving.
    They combine the comfort of a merc for example with a supposed manliness, great if your an architect or engineer and have to travel to site. They have the "exclusiveness" of a suave car without the embarisment of getting stuck in a puddle half way in the gate.

Personally I wouldnt ever think of buying one and as it is I want a car but I need something to tow with so the jeep stays (or goes if herself can be persuaded that a range rover is a sound investment:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my dad has a lexus rx400 and he loves it, plenty of room in the boot for his wheelchair wielding robot. :D

he usually gets a few glares when he pulls into disabled spots in it, till the boot opens on it's own and this big robot arm (complete with beeping noise and flashing orange light) comes out with his chair on it and plonks it down next to the drivers door. :D

anyway, he likes it a lot more than the astra he got when he frst started driving again after his accident, so I shan't begrudge him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

vibe666 wrote: »
    my dad has a lexus rx400 and he loves it, plenty of room in the boot for his wheelchair wielding robot. :D

he usually gets a few glares when he pulls into disabled spots in it, till the boot opens on it's own and this big robot arm (complete with beeping noise and flashing orange light) comes out with his chair on it and plonks it down next to the drivers door. :D

anyway, he likes it a lot more than the astra he got when he frst started driving again after his accident, so I shan't begrudge him. :)

i can understand that he also have a better driving position

but most are made as just to buy and prance around town in , alot of people driving them have no idea how to drive them or park em , a friend of mine used to drive a jag no reason to buy a 4x4 one day turned up in a landrover Defender completely outfitted for offroad rollcage winch snorkle etc , i asked her why did she buy it she said it looked good , it never once went off road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

jeawan wrote: »
    she said it looked good

theres your answer.
    tis for the posing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    now 1st thing i will say is i have no offroading experience but when I see BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Lexus 4X4's flying round the place I cant help but think why?? If your looking for an off roader then surely a land rover, landcruiser etc would be better, Iff yer looking for a sports or executive saloon then surely an M5, IS200 etc would be better. From what Im told these 4X4's are crap off road, and they aint much better on it, so whats the point??

the X5 is just like the m5... but its 3 foot taller and makes your ego grow even greater !

Sad morons imvho. :D

Why would somebody buy a sports car, I mean a proper supercar, you will still only be driving the same roads at the same speed as the guy next door with a nissan micra. Its nice to know that you can drive 200 Kmh even if you never ever do. For example, how many porsche 911 drivers actually drive their cars to the max. The car is designed for the track but how many people actually complain about porsche drivers being idiots for buying a car that will never see the use it was designed for. They have still paid over the odds for a car that is impractical to drive, difficult to park and very uneconomical on petrol. Maybe some people just like the higher ground clearance, the illusion of extra safety and the knowledge that if someday they were forced to go down a muddy lane that they wouldnt get stuck.
    For the people that say if you want a jeep buy a proper one like a defender or a landcruiser. There are a lot of people out there that want a fast car that handles well, are they stupid for buying something that hasent got a 5L+ engine and rwd/4wd? between budget and practicality there has to be a happy medium. Everybodys tastes are different which is a good thing or there would be nothing but toyota corollas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, why has EVERY 4x4 forum have to come to the same debate. If you don't like them go away lol:P

Lol, why has EVERY 4x4 forum have to come to the same debate. If you don't like them go away lol:P

I know waht you mean. It was really bad before this forum was set up. All you had to do was ask a question about anything to do with a 4x4 and you ended up having to defend yourself against page after page of abuse. Still I suppose its good we live in Ireland where everybody is prepared to complain but not do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The Porsche Cayenne is actually supposed to be fantastic off road and regularly compete in rally raids with the only modification being snorkels, proper off road tyres, rollcages and long range fuel tanks.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m14g-fhT4io&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m14g-fhT4io&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The Porsche Cayenne is actually supposed to be fantastic off road and regularly compete in rally raids with the only modification being snorkels, proper off road tyres, rollcages and long range fuel tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14g-fhT4io

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

i agree, this should have been the first and only response.

Advertisement