Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Advice needed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4KZM&CategorySelectedId=11150&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11150,4294952408,4294955011,4294953829

Better than getting 2gb of ram thats not supported... Slower clock speed but the same latency timings as your 9200 ram not to mention twice the capacity... you will need a 64 bit operating system mind you to utilise the second ram stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dont bother going down the AMD route, their cpu's just cant keep up with even the cheaper intel models. Perhaps do some research first before you jump into it. Would be a shame if you wasted the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just get 6400 ram, theres only slight tiny percentage increases with faster ram, unless you are big into overclocking..

I recommend the intel route too.. better and cheaper processors at the mo..

2 gig ram 6400 ram = 35 euros
    gigabyte motherboard = 60 euros
    e8400 core2duo = 130 euros

delivery 20 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eoindc

thanks ppls,

landa2, i will probably go with that ram. i am sticking with xp for the moment but will try n get a 64bit vista at some stage.

i decided to try amd because of the price difference:

Athlon 64 X2 6000 Dual Core AM2 1MB 3.1GHz
    €70
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6M Cache S775 1333MHZ
    €140

(both on dabs.ie)
    the price of motherboards for these processors are identical so why would i chose intel?!! :confused:
    It is a huge price difference so what does intel give you for that extra €70?

thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eoindc

i went with amd in the end because of the price difference.
    the whole build came to a total of just over €300.
    thanks again for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2008/compare,369.html?prod[1267]=on&prod[1252]=on

If you peruse that you'll see that the intel outperforms the amd in every bench by 25% and up. You can't simply compare the clock speed of two completely different CPU architectures. The intel for one has more cache.
    But i suppose the fact that it costs twice as much probably doesn't justify they gains.
    You won't be surprised why enthusiasts rave about them though when you consider the e8400 can be clocked to 4ghz+ on a fairly cheap mobo with no extra voltage.

Advertisement