Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far in advance can you pay a deposit for a flat?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 12:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could help me.

My boyfriend is moving over form America to live with me permanently. He is going to be here in January. I am renting a room at the minute. We want a flat to ourselves when he gets back. The deal is that I would find us a flat while he's away, and we can move into it when he gets back.

Obviously I would like to have a flat ready and waiting for him when he gets back, instead of waiting till he gets back and then us potentially looking round for flats for ages.

To do this i would need to be able to secure a flat in advance. e.g give the landlord the deposit and say we will be moving in in one month. Can you do that? Has anyone done this? Also do landlords want to meet both people in the couple before they let you have the appartment or is one person enough.

thanks so much for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I'd say that would be fine, if there is someone already occupying the flat. But if the LL is looking for someone to move in straight away and you are offering just the deposit, he will be missing out on a months rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If he is moving in January, start looking at what you might like at the end of November, but don't commit to anything until well into December.

Note that very little will happen in the last two weeks of December.

Advertisement