Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Collins and the Making of a New Ireland, Value??

Options
  • 04-09-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

One of my parents recently inherited the book: "Michael Collins and the Making of a New Ireland" by Piaras Beaslai, Vol 1. I know its a long shot, but does anyone know roughly how much it might be worth?
    I'd never consider selling it, but just for insurance reasons, it would be nice to know, although I'll probably get it valued by a registered auctioneer.

Does anyone know of any specialized auctioneers in Irish history?

Thanks alot, and yes, I know it mightn't be worth much at all!! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

A hell of a lot,thats for sure!!!Get it officially valued,if it is in good condition it should be worth a fair bit indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

eroo wrote: »
    A hell of a lot,thats for sure!!!Get it officially valued,if it is in good condition it should be worth a fair bit indeed!

Are you taking the piss? :eek:

sd123 wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss? :eek:

Well I've seen books dated 1981 going for £60/70 on amazon.Beaslai's book was first published 1926.Go figure!!:)

eroo wrote: »
    Beaslai's book was first published 1926.Go figure!!:)

Ye, I read that alright, thanks alot, made my day! Do you know anywhere I could get it professionally valued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Is it a first edition? Is it in good condition? These two factors determine the value unfortunately, in a lot of collecters eyes.

There is a shop in Exchequer Street (I think) which deals in rare and old books. Try and look them up in the phone book?

A little aside here; Peader O'Donnell described that biography as "... in the manner of a war widow parading around in her husbands medals...". This has made me want to read this book but I have never had the chance so far.

Good luck OP. It may also be worth re-posting in Collectables and Antiques.

• Advertisement

boneless wrote: »
    Is it a first edition? Is it in good condition? These two factors determine the value unfortunately, in a lot of collecters eyes.

There is a shop in Exchequer Street (I think) which deals in rare and old books. Try and look them up in the phone book?

A little aside here; Peader O'Donnell described that biography as "... in the manner of a war widow parading around in her husbands medals...". This has made me want to read this book but I have never had the chance so far.

Good luck OP. It may also be worth re-posting in Collectables and Antiques.

Thanks a milliion both to you and eroo, I should probably go and read it then :o Didn't appreciate it until now!

Thanks a milliion both to you and eroo, I should probably go and read it then :o Didn't appreciate it until now!

I would love to read it,but I don't have access to it.You do,so read it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

One of my parents recently inherited the book: "Michael Collins and the Making of a New Ireland" by Piaras Beaslai, Vol 1. I know its a long shot, but does anyone know roughly how much it might be worth?
    I'd never consider selling it, but just for insurance reasons, it would be nice to know, although I'll probably get it valued by a registered auctioneer.

Does anyone know of any specialized auctioneers in Irish history?

Thanks alot, and yes, I know it mightn't be worth much at all!! :p

The value of this would be suppressed significantly by the fact that it is only one of two volumes. First edition of the two volumes together in really good nick would be of the order of maybe up to €500, in so far as one can confidently say this at all, but that would leave one volume as less than half that value.

Ultimately, of course, the only thing that determines value is the actual selling price and this can vary greatly. But anything other than that is guesswork, and obviously the market for any book/s in the region of €500 euro is limited. It is one thing to assert that the value of book is x, and it is quite another to actually realise that value. Quite how an auctioneer would handle it in terms of valuation I don't know, and to what extent it is actually worth insuring something of that value is another matter.

Advertisement