Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter of Notice

Options
  • 04-09-2008 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

could someone please give me an idea of what wording i should put in to a Letter of Notice?
    i have been Renting my House since January to 2 People,1 of them moved out at the start of this Month and the Person still in the House is only Paying half of the agreed Rent.he said he was going to get someone else in but i haven't heared a Word from them since.i have no option but to give the remaining tennant 2 Weeks notice so that i can find new tennants who will pay the full amount.
    i'm new to all this so don't know exactly what to write in the Letter.do i just have to notify him in the Letter that i need him to leave or do i also have to give the reason why in the Letter?obviously i will be telling him the reason why but i want to make sure i do everything officially and above board.
    any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Tread carefully here,although you're right to want to get them out, and perfectly justified in doing so, you need to do in in exactly the right way or they'll have you over a barrell for illegal eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

Igy wrote: »
    Tread carefully here,although you're right to want to get them out, and perfectly justified in doing so, you need to do in in exactly the right way or they'll have you over a barrell for illegal eviction.

yeah,that's what i'm worried about.but at the end of the day i can't afford to be only taking half Rent.
    we agreed when they moved in first on 2 Weeks notice either way and i have that Signed so hopefully there'll be no problems.i just want to make sure i Word the Letter right.
    thanks for Replying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

go to www.irishlandlord.com

They have all the authorised forms on there which will be ok with the PRTB.

Not sure about he 2 weeks notice though - think the tenant may be within their rights to stay 28 days, regardless of notice period in the agreement. As far as I know there are standard rules with serving notice, and these can be enforced regardless of the agreement. Also, technically AFIK you will be asking him to leave for non-payment of rent. For this you must serve a 14 day notice asking him to bring the rent up to date. Then after that you must serve 28 days notice. If the tenant goes to threshold they will be told their rights and will know this, so its important that you check this out too, otherwise the tenant could end up calling the shots.

Not sure if this would be allowed and other more experienced people may say otherwise, but perhaps you could threaten him with you finding the new tenant to share with him? advertise room for rent etc, tell him you will be present when showing. He might not like the idea of living with someone he doesn't know and choose to move out himself?

Advertisement