Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading up?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Thinking of trading the Terrano for a Range Rover(02), smaller engine but more creature comfort.
    Wise move or would I be daft? whats the economy like, reliability? servicing costs etc.?
    Have also been looking at the facelift disco (02 - 04). Again more creature comforts a major thing. I love the terrano for its speed and economy (32mpg) but the radio has started acting up, its loud and creaky, the whole bloody thing rattles at 1500rpm and resonates and its driving me up the wall and the ground clearance is abysmal at the front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the radio has started acting up

ashtray full as well, is it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

peasant wrote: »
    ashtray full as well, is it? :D

no but there is some mud on the door cills that annoys me and the windscreen is kinda dirty. Actually it just occured to me today that I want to get rid, I've only had it about 8 months. I've never had a car for less than 2 years before!

The main work I have for a 4x4 is the occasional dunking from launching a boat, the trailer light socket ususlly gets submerged and electrics get "fuzzy". I think the radio is the first casualty. I have already replaced 2 speakers, Iso cables and a fuse and its been ejected from the dash more times than the cup holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Slig wrote: »
    Thinking of trading the Terrano for a Range Rover(02), smaller engine but more creature comfort.
    Wise move or would I be daft? whats the economy like, reliability? servicing costs etc.?

It can all depend.
    Firstly as the new model RR's will be automatic and 5 seat. The engine if your buying diesel, will be the 3.0 TD6, same as the X5 and 530D Bmw's. RR's are big, spacious well able to tow etc.

Reliability is going to be as much as a much but the main things to check would be that the air suspension still works, all the windows, central locking etc. Also a common fault is the dash and radio display to fail, which can be costly so make sure to factor this in.

Miles per gallon will be somewhere is early to late twenties, maybe a bit higher depending on how heavy your foot is.

Get a Hse spec at the least, a Vogue is more the better. (The Vogue extra should have Sat nav, better quailty of leather and so on).
    Don't go for the poverty spec Se models, also make sure to look at the prices of 03's etc. because they can be got for cheap.

RR's aren't selling the best at the moment, so hold on, find one that is right with a good service history and a good colour. Don't settle. Also get your bargaining cap on. Hold tough.
    Have also been looking at the facelift disco (02 - 04). Again more creature comforts a major thing. I love the terrano for its speed and economy (32mpg) but the radio has started acting up, its loud and creaky, the whole bloody thing rattles at 1500rpm and resonates and its driving me up the wall and the ground clearance is abysmal at the front.

Older Discovery's can be a bit rough, the lock in the steering if fairly bad and can be something to get used to. With Discoverys you can get manual/automatic, 5/7 seat. Whether you buy manual or auto is up to yourself but buy one with seven seats. Even if you don't use them, just to have them there for resale purpose's etc. Also in 03 they released a facelifted model which up't the anti a bit and brought it somewhat away from the very dated previous model.

People are starting to import so again with the Disco's get a FSH, make sure it's clean and hasn't been hacked about. Alot of them with towbars, will have used them for towing, some a bit too much. So if it looks rough just simply walk away and look at another. Reliabilty again would be windows etc. Also with the air suspension if it has it. Try again go for Hse as you will get sunroof's and a leather etc. It'll be worth your while to do a bit of research. There's a very mixed bag of reliability issue's but people are still buyin them like crazy. Servicing costs on both should be somewhat average for something of it;s class, maybe 300-400 depending.

There's also a huge scene for Land Rovers, so help is always at hand. Also there are plenty of extra's etc. to be got if it's in your interest.

Thanks for that Limerick-man, lots of info to digest there. Anybody know anything about the new pajeros? well not exactly new '02-ish.
    My own experience with a pajero sport was that it was thirsty and I'm hearing the same about the newer ones from some people while others are saying around 30MPG, which would be great.
    Whats the 2.5 like as opposed to the 3.2?
    I'm keeping away from Nissan and I dont like the landcruiser, its a great machine and all but its boring and as a secondhand motor its the most expensive out there.

Thanks for that Limerick-man, lots of info to digest there. Anybody know anything about the new pajeros? well not exactly new '02-ish.
    My own experience with a pajero sport was that it was thirsty and I'm hearing the same about the newer ones from some people while others are saying around 30MPG, which would be great.
    Whats the 2.5 like as opposed to the 3.2?
    I'm keeping away from Nissan and I dont like the landcruiser, its a great machine and all but its boring and as a secondhand motor its the most expensive out there.

I've only driven a 05 model Pajero, the 3.2 seems very loud, and i think the dash and display is deifintly to one's own taste. I'd advise a veiwing on one to see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

You have reliability issues with a terrano and your going to buy a Range Rover??????????????????????

fastrac wrote: »
    You have reliability issues with a terrano and your going to buy a Range Rover??????????????????????

Good point!
    still at least youll be comfortable sitting on the side of the road in a range rover:D. I looked at a couple over the weekend and I dont think I'll be looking any further. I didnt see any commercial ones and I think I'm too agriculturally minded for something that refined. I also dont see the 2.5L engine being too happy about haulin a 3.5 tonne digger about either.
    What I am interrested in is the face lift disco though. A little bit more refined than the terrano and I like the look of them. Also easier to get some custom parts I'd say, like a roof rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I also dont see the 2.5L engine being too happy about haulin a 3.5 tonne digger about either..
    You do realise that if the combiation of trailer and jeep exceed 3.5 ton, you need a c1 licence and a tacho??

slideways wrote: »
    You do realise that if the combiation of trailer and jeep exceed 3.5 ton, you need a c1 licence and a tacho??

3.5tonne is the lifting capacity of the digger not the weight

3.5tonne is the lifting capacity of the digger not the weight
    Well I'm a long time round diggers and never heard of them being refered to in their lifting capacity and if it can lift 3.5 ton it is def too heavy to tow with a jeep.

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant that as a question.
    Guess I need a tractor so:D

I was just warning ya thats all... RSA are really cracking down on overweight issues at the mo..

I've had several vehicles brought to the testing station for weight purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I dont like the landcruiser, its a great machine and all but its boring and as a secondhand motor its the most expensive out there.
    What do you mean by boring? that they don't break down as often as other 4x4's?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What do you mean by boring? that they don't break down as often as other 4x4's?

No I mean that they lack any type of exciting feature, they are bland and featureless. I have nothing against them as jeeps but they are so over hyped and overpriced that they should NEVER break down.

Just do it, go away and buy a RR for yourself:D

Just do it, go away and buy a RR for yourself:D

Leaning a bit further towards the disco now though, after seeing what my money will buy on a range rover.

Leaning a bit further towards the disco now though, after seeing what my money will buy on a range rover.

Go for a 03-04 model Disco so and try get a HSE if possible. Should be around if you've any questions on them

Go for a 03-04 model Disco so and try get a HSE if possible. Should be around if you've any questions on them

There are a few 02 facelift discos around. are there any significant differences between these and the 03-04 ones?

Alot of it would be asthetics, the pre facelift model looks somewhat dated, interior wise is more or less the same. If you don't mind the look of the pre facelift, it'll be as much as a much, but just to keep it somewhat up to date.
    Here's two examples(i'm sure you the difference)
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Discovery/2.5-TD5/1161277/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Discovery/2.5-TD5/1106580/

What about either of these?
    this
    or
    this
    and I like the colour of this

• Advertisement

What about either of these?
    this
    or
    this
    and I like the colour of this

First one is a commercial, so i guess that's a no go.

Second and third look clean, but you can only tell looks and colour from pics as i always say. You have to see them yourself. Mileage seems ok on both. Check for FSH. Just so you know in case you didn't see the silver is automatic. I would also be a bit weary of DL reg's as most of them would of come across the border.

Prices also seem reasonable considering other prices of 7 seats. Have a look at them anyway and bargain away. The Alveston red looks the nicer of the two IMO.

Seen a few LR2 disco SE facelifts across the water for alot less money than my own is worth here. The VRT on the passanger version would make it unfesable but if I went commercial again it could sort that out. As far as I'm aware if its registered/classed as a commercial before its brought over the vrt is only small but if I bring it over and convert it here I would have to pay the full thing (5 - 7K for a '02). I have seen loads of info regarding VRT on cars but not a lot on commercials so any help would be appreciated.
    I dont really need the back seats (in fact I need the space more) but it just seems a shame to rip out all those leather seats and electric windows:D

I dont really need the back seats (in fact I need the space more) but it just seems a shame to rip out all those leather seats and electric windows:D

Ah sure u can sell the seats:P. As for the windows all you have to do is disconnect them etc. Why can't you just buy a commercial over there, or one here?

The discos here with the se spec dont have all the same extras as over there. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a passanger version over there than a commercial here and get all the toys and the commercials over there all seem to be base modles, isnt even the roof bars or alloys.

The discos here with the se spec dont have all the same extras as over there. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a passanger version over there than a commercial here and get all the toys and the commercials over there all seem to be base modles, isnt even the roof bars or alloys.

There can be a bit of hassle converting to commercial, i haven't ever done so with a used UK import. Do a bit more research. I know what needs to be done to the vehicle, but then again it would be worth your while finding out about vrt first.
    GS comm
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Land-Rover/Discovery/GS-COMMERCIAL/1023258/

Advertisement