Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open office spell check

Options
  • 04-09-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just started using OO recently and like it a lot, but for some reason when I click spellcheck there are no mistakes, even when I know there is. Why is that? Do I need to download a plugin or something? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

try changing the spellcheck language from English (Eire) to English (UK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The only other option I have seems to be USA English....Will keep looking though thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 devoidsolid

I have been using OpenOffice for a long time and have found a problem with the Eire dictionary. I found a solution but it is a little long winded but it works.

If you are using 2.4 or below you should download the en_EN-pack dictionary here and go to file - wizards - install new dictionaries - English (you may need to ctrl click this link) - start DicOOo - select offline language pack installation - click browse and select downloaded language pack - There will be three stages, follow them selecting English (Ireland) for the spelling checker dictionaries and Hyphenation dictionaries and ignore thesaurus and then unclick Do not extract dictionary archives that are already installed(no upgrade) and click finish.

If you can follow all the above then restart openoffice & the quickstarter in your dock and you should be in business.

Advertisement