Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static shocks in Tesco Blanchardstown - anyone else?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭

Since Tesco Blanch go its makeover (that could be 2 years ago at this stage) I regularly get static shocks there regardless of what shoes I wear. I end up keeping at least one hand in contact with the trolley at all times.

The other day my wife and I were shopping. We put our 9 month old son in a trolley for the first time. She got static shocks too. The worst part was that she got one when she went nose-to-nose with our son - he got a shock too. There were tears.

Does anyone else get static shocks there? If there are a few people then I can ask them if they know this and if they can do anything about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yes I wa stehre recently and was getting shocks every 5 mins. I hate them.

I reckon its cos they constanly have pallets on the floor with the plastic hanging off and when they are pulling the pallets back into the stores there is a build up from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm assuming it's not the Roselawn Shopping centre Tesco's, since you would have no reason to go in there as they never restock the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marksquirt

I shop there regularly with my 14 month old and I nearly always put her in the trolley I always get shocks off her aswell but actually thought it was more something to do with us until I read your post!!

May I suggest investing in one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anti-Static-Wrist-Adjustable-Grounding/dp/B00004Z5D1

Out of curiousity, I wonder if these static shocks would cause any problems for someone with a pacemaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Thats shocking.

I get it all the time in Dunnes. Its annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

sometimes trolleys have things stuck to them or caught around the wheels which drag along the ground and cause a build up of static in the trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm assuming it's not the Roselawn Shopping centre Tesco's, since you would have no reason to go in there as they never restock the shelves.
    Oh, don't get me started on this - they are brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

cymro wrote: »
    Thats shocking.

I get it all the time in Dunnes. Its annoying.
    I work in a Dunnes, get it all the time too. It's just life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Tesco Roselawn is special - gave up shopping there as get electric shocked every time. Apparently they use other supplier...

Am ok with Superquinn in the village! (if dearer!)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I used to work in Dunnes in Cornelscourt when I was in school. At the end of each night we had to collect all the unused plastic bags from the checkouts and put them into a shopping trolley. Now obviously plastic bags and a nice metal conductor isn't a great combination, but one night I touched off the trolley and I got such a shock that my arm was numb for about an hour. I was always much more careful after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Never noticed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I shop there often but have no memories of shocks. Is it just from when you use trollies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

deswalsh wrote: »

Ah cool. So we just ask Tesco's to provide leather soled shoes for when we shop.

Thanks deswalsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Leaving tesco this week. *dances* anyway,when using rollcages,i got shocks alot. When you drag it by the rope stuff,it charges it up,as does the plastic. Same for trolleys. You can get little bracelets the stop you getting shocks i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

quank wrote: »
    Is it just from when you use trollies?
    I only ever use trolleys so cannot say if I'd get them with a basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I've only ever gotten them when pushing a buggy or a trolly around. Don't get them with a basket. I have touched off other people's trolleys and gotten it.

Used to happen up in the Town Centre with buggies too. Saw the kids hair standing on end one day, I reached to pat it down with my hand and got an almighty shock which led to tears for the child. I held the tears back :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ah cool. So we just ask Tesco's to provide leather soled shoes for when we shop.

Thanks deswalsh!

seems reasonable to me, they take the shirts off our backs, least they can do is offer some nice brogues in return!

Another solution for static is to put your index finger into your mouth and suck it for a few minutes. Then poke it into the ear of your companion or any other shopper near you, discharging all that nasty static very quickly for you. You will notice that very quickly static becomes the least of your worries.
    Dont try this at home folks. nor on the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

deswalsh wrote: »
    seems reasonable to me, they take the shirts off our backs, least they can do is offer some nice brogues in return!

Another solution for static is to put your index finger into your mouth and suck it for a few minutes. Then poke it into the ear of your companion or any other shopper near you, discharging all that nasty static very quickly for you. You will notice that very quickly static becomes the least of your worries.
    Dont try this at home folks. nor on the kids.
    :D ha ha ha, can just see all the customers with their fingers in other peoples ears! Anyway I usually touch the trolley and cans with the back of my hand first. Its shocking altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Googled 'Static Electric Shock Penny's Blanch' and this came up top, so blame Google for resurrection of zombie thread.

In Penny's Blanch' today and was absolutely destroyed, everything I touched I got a bang off, and these weren't little bangs, wifey was crying laughing as she was hearing the zaps.

Resorted to calling lift with my knee ( had baby buggy for lift)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Try the US 😁it was a nightmare must be the extra heat or humidity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I used to work in Dunnes over the shopping center and there used to be a big problem with static shocks. I remember the store manager telling us in a meeting once that they spent a lot of money having people out to make sure the shop was properly grounded and nothing worked. That's why now when you look at the shopping trolleys there's a bit of rubber hanging off the back that drags along the ground.

Advertisement