Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GPS Warning] Sat-Navs send Kerry bus drivers astray

Options
  • 04-09-2008 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0903/kerry.html
    Sat-Navs send Kerry bus drivers astray
    listen Wednesday, 3 September 2008 12:01

Some satellite navigation systems have been sending bus drivers the wrong way around the Ring of Kerry.

Since the 1800s all large vehicles have gone anti-clockwise on the route.

However, GPS devices are now sending buses and trucks the wrong way around the 180km ring.
    Advertisement

Drivers of large vehicles are also getting stuck in tunnels and bridges on stretches of the narrow winding road.

Councillor Tom Doherty from Killarney Town Council has said the systems need to be updated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I was stunned that this trash actually made national radio and both the Indo and the Times.

How come there was never a headline "Ordinance Survey leads Kerry Bus Drivers Astray"? Given that any roadmap that has been available in the last 50 years does not indicate the 'unofficial' one way system either. Are there that many foreign coach drivers that rely on GPS in Kerry (as you would imagine that the locals would have copped it by now) Who said Kerry jojes were in appropriate ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Some GPS;s accommodate for HGV;s and coaches with an avoidance option for narrow roads, bridges tunnels etc just like the toll road options. Obviously these guys skimped on their models or were unable to use them in the first place. I am even more surprised at the broad sheets publishing this. More like something we would read in the tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm not even sure that any of the higher spec models would allow for this as the road is safe to drive in one direction but not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

there is a big sign just passed Torc Waterfall requesting coach drivers to go anti-clockwise.

the road is safe to drive in either direction, its when two coaches meet in narrow stretches that problems arise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

I am even more surprised at the broad sheets publishing this. More like something we would read in the tabloids.

I would even be surprised at tabloids publishing this. It's more like something we would read in a local paper, since it has no national significance.

Of course, there'll probably be Kerry people on saying (correctly) how much Dublin news we get that has no national significance either. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement