Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedophile old guy in Family Guy cartoon

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Anyone who has watched Family guy will know Herbert. The old pedophile who lusts after teenager Chris Griffin. He is old and has a crippled dog and speaks in a funny whistling way. He never gets to actually have Chris (except in the video game). He just lusts and fantisizes after him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pCHb62kvQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTGKkmf874c&feature=related

Herbert the pervert has been a hit amongst fans of the show!

see
    The Herbert (from family guy) Appreciation Society
    The classic joke in all cartoons with the pedophile old guy who god knows how they get away with wot he says!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18545934928

Whilst I do find him funny I am amazed that there has not been more scandal about a pedophile in a cartoon show. I never realised cartoons could go so far as to make a pedophile a popular character!

On reason I think is that Chris is 14 or 15, however if he was 5 it would be no laughing matter even though its a cartoon and the show would be inundated with complaints. In fact I don t think they would push things that far. Though south park did have an episode with 8 year old boys being chased after by a group of pedophiles.

In that case do people consider pedophilia less serious if its with an older kid? Even though they are young teenagers? 15 years ago I couldn t imagine this being on TV. Now with the likes of South Park and Family Guy anything seems to be fair game.

I should point out these aren t cartoon aimed at kids, they are adult. But they are attractive to children and cut versions of family guy are shown before 9.

Im a fan of the show myself and alot of people I know love it and love the character of Herbert.

but how can a popular character on a show be a pedophile? Its kinda weird when you think about it..

Do you think family guy have gone too far making Herbert a popular character? 57 votes

No, its just a laugh
    0% 0 votes
    mmm its a bit odd that people find a character who is a pedophile funny
    80% 46 votes
    Yes, I think its wrong how far TV shows go for laughs
    15% 9 votes
    It depends on the age of the "boy" he is lusting after
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

And all the other stuff they do isnt close to the bone?

Theyre famous for their controversy, no one takes it serious

What about the naked, greasy deaf guy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

but how can a popular character on a show be a pedophile? Its kinda weird when you think about it..

No it isn't.

Popular characters on TV or film aren't real, and most people have enough sense to understand this. People can adore a serial killer like Dexter despite the fact that he's killed dozens of people, because it's fiction. You can take the view that Darth Vader commited genocide by blowing up Alderan, but people can still be massive fans, despite what this represents.

It's the same with Herbert. He's liked because he's funny, and he doesn't actually hurt anyone in the real world.

For more information, see this diagram

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

moved from after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I used to think paedophelia was wrong, but after seeing Family Guy I now find it acceptable, only for 14-15 years olds though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Therickmachine

No it isn't.

Popular characters on TV or film aren't real, and most people have enough sense to understand this. People can adore a serial killer like Dexter despite the fact that he's killed dozens of people, because it's fiction. You can take the view that Darth Vader commited genocide by blowing up Alderan, but people can still be massive fans, despite what this represents.

It's the same with Herbert. He's liked because he's funny, and he doesn't actually hurt anyone in the real world.

For more information, see this diagram

I personaly am not offended but I am surprised other people aren t!

Yeah it is just a cartoon, but is pedophilia a laughing matter? I mean other serious crimes have fun poked at them. But I d have thought pedophilia is a bit too sensitive! Also would it be the same if it was a really small boy he was lusting after?
    What about the naked, greasy deaf guy???

That is just randomly weird! Funny though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I personaly am not offended but I am surprised other people aren t!

If you aren't offended why do you expect others to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Herbert is the best character in the show.

I don't use the term often but......FACT!

"Hey there muscley arm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Therickmachine

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Herbert is the best character in the show.

I don't use the term often but......FACT!

"Hey there muscley arm"

"Dont forget to stretch out those creamy hamstrings mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm":D

If you aren't offended why do you expect others to be?

Well normally I consider the likes of Southpark fine to watch whilst some will think its obscene. I don t like it that much but I have no problems with whats on it!
    In general Americans are more conservative about what they watch on TV and shows have to be cut according to the Network. I m just surprised it doesn t cause more contraversy.

It may be just a cartoon, however it was a cartoon of the prophet Mohommed in Denmark that caused riots around the world and Danish products to be boycotted.:confused:

Thats interesting as whilst family guy poke fun at Arabs and their culture (like they do everyone else) they don t go near the prophet Mohommed as far as I know, yet they potray Jesus and God.

In fact they had God arguing with a girl over whether to us a condom or not,:D WTF???? The randomness amazes me sometimes.
    And all the other stuff they do isnt close to the bone?

Theyre famous for their controversy,

Yeah they seem to have no limitations.
    However in the episode where Peter creates the religion of Fonzie from happy days, he does a bit of research into other religions.
    Whilst he explored hinduism, mormans and buddhists they didn t touch Islam funny enough:confused: No mention of Mohommed in any of the episodes I ve seen.
    Maybe there is a line they just don t cross? We ll see anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I think it's just a cathartic thing for people to laugh at him because it is such a touchy subject.

Just like how they approach racism in that episode with the new cop van.

Not a fan of him myself cos he creeps the hell out of me though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I voted for it is FG go too far for laughs ...

but not in particular with this guy , S3 was when he 1st appeared was
    funny .. cos there was a subtle element to it .. now FG is about as subtle
    as a kick in the bollix..

It's gone way too far ..with other stuff .. Jokes about Micheal J Fox .. ,
    "all the brown people you can rape" .. that's just NOT funny .. it's not funny cos it really ****ing happens and only a fool would find it funny..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

jackdaw wrote: »
    I voted for it is FG go too far for laughs ...

but not in particular with this guy , S3 was when he 1st appeared was
    funny .. cos there was a subtle element to it .. now FG is about as subtle
    as a kick in the bollix..

It's gone way too far ..with other stuff .. Jokes about Micheal J Fox .. ,
    "all the brown people you can rape" .. that's just NOT funny .. it's not funny cos it really ****ing happens and only a fool would find it funny..

personally i think only a fool would be offended by something on tv. i think people need to stop being so dam sensitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I just don't find him funny at all. Adds nothing to the show.

Advertisement