Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People in apartment block all paying different rates for same flats?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

Im just wondering , if a landlord owns a block of apartments which are all the same size, with the same furniture included, does he/she have any obligation to charge all the tenants of each apartment the same rent?
    Im pretty sure that in the building where i live, some are paying a cheaper rent than others...maybe due to the fact that they rented at a slower time in the market. Everyone has 12mths leases.
    Just curious. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Why would or should the landlord charge everyone the same?
    Last I heard it was a free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

yeah i guess ...i just feel sorry for the guy who's been a good tenant for over a year and is paying close to an extra €200 than newer tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If he's there over a year it's his fault for not renegotiating when extending his lease.
    Alternatively there's nothing stopping him from moving if lease has expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Well actually, it's illegal to charge more than the "fair market rate".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Could be something to do with management charges.

Same size apartments on different floors have different rates and this could be passed on by the landlord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

kearnsr wrote: »
    Could be something to do with management charges.

Same size apartments on different floors have different rates and this could be passed on by the landlord
    Our resident expert on management companies, PaulW, got sitebanned for threatening someone, but this sounds like it might have some truth to it. A lot of landlords don't realise that you can't pass on interest rate rises and so on to tenants, they will just leave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Our resident expert on management companies, PaulW, got sitebanned for threatening someone, but this sounds like it might have some truth to it. A lot of landlords don't realise that you can't pass on interest rate rises and so on to tenants, they will just leave.

Yeah saw he got banned.

What charges can the landlord pass on?

What charges can the landlord pass on?
    Well look at it this way, they can try to pass on whatever charges they like, but tenancies are largely dictated by market forces, supply and demand, and there is no shortage of the former, putting tenants in a very strong position.

Well look at it this way, they can try to pass on whatever charges they like, but tenancies are largely dictated by market forces, supply and demand, and there is no shortage of the former, putting tenants in a very strong position.

When you said landlords cant pass on charges or interest you meant that the market wouldnt allow them not the law? Sorry I think I got my wires crossed

When you said landlords cant pass on charges or interest you meant that the market wouldnt allow them not the law? Sorry I think I got my wires crossed
    As pointed out above, there are laws regarding fair market rate. Also the market is not their friend, these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement