Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Broadband Package From Vodafone

Options
  • 03-09-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Got a letter this morning in the post
    Vodafone are introducing Broadband at Home deals from 29euro P/m for first 6 month and 49eu there after

terms and conditions apply for the 29 euro
    offers includ
    *always on broadband
    *free broadband connection
    *200 free minutes* to call up to 3 Vodafone mobiles from your home phone every month
    *unlimited* local and national calls on your home phone
    *line rental included
    *free F-secure PC Protection from vodafone for 3 months

*20 cent calls to mobiles outside the 200 minute offer

what do you think boys & girls how does this compare to smart telecom and the likes, concidering im living out in the country side of westmeath my option is Eircom, NTL is not an option as they dont cover where i live.

my current bill with eircom is 60 per month on a simular offer and by the time i add on calls and VAT its always over 100euro & more p/m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Remember Eircom phone bills come every 2 months for most people, this is every month

Vodafone took over Perlico, there is other phone and broadband packages out there which will also match this but its better to suit your own needs

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

my eircom bill is -once- a month

i live in the country side

eircom and perlico are my only options for me.

perlico wanted 39eu per month for the first three months and 46 there after. spoke with them today

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

30GB download limit
    and up to 3Mb so sometimes can be evan 0,2Mb or less.
    Contention ratio 48:1 (nothing special)
    I prefer Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

devil-80 wrote: »
    I prefer Smart.

If they actually manage to bill you properly and install it in the first place.... i.e. connect the DSL line at the exchange to the correct line !!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭djb85

This is Eircom's most similarly priced bundle. Costs €55.99 per month

Product Features

• [URL="javascript:void(0);"] [/URL]Download speed of up to 1Mb
    • Download allowance of 10GB
    • Line rental included
    • Unlimited local and national calls anytime
    • 5% off mobile calls off-peak
    • Delivery within 10 working days
    • 12 month contract
    • Free WIFI (until 31st March 09)
    • Free Setanta Sports online
    • Free Norton Security for 2 months
    • Free 1GB online storage
    • FREE wireless modem (worth €98.99)

Exclusive online offers
    • Free connection (worth €29.99)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

does that include line rental aswell???

on the plus side of Eircom, they dont trottle torrents or online streaming. Would Vodafone do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Check the small print on the Vodafone offer. I'm with Eircom as well and getting robbed blind (each month - not bi-monthly;)).

When I actually checked the Vodafone offer I'm pretty sure that was only for a limited period and then it would go up to almost the same as Eircom.

I was previously with BT and they were pretty much the same price as well, except that customer service was by far the worst I've ever come across. It took over 6 months to fulfil the order and another two months to fix it once it was installed and didn't work.

Perlico also seems cheap, but when I checked it out it worked out pretty much the same price again after introductory offers.

You could argue the market is so competitive they all charge the same, or else cynically think that they are all fleecing us.

Smart seems a little cheaper, but it is not available in my area (and they almost went bust before).

Do let us know if it works out cheaper though, as I'm sure many would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

djb85 wrote: »
    This is Eircom's most similarly priced bundle. Costs €55.99 per month

Product Features

• [URL="javascript:void(0);"] [/URL]Download speed of up to 1Mb
    • Download allowance of 10GB
    • Line rental included
    • Unlimited local and national calls anytime
    • 5% off mobile calls off-peak
    • Delivery within 10 working days
    • 12 month contract
    • Free WIFI (until 31st March 09)
    • Free Setanta Sports online
    • Free Norton Security for 2 months
    • Free 1GB online storage
    • FREE wireless modem (worth €98.99)

Exclusive online offers
    • Free connection (worth €29.99)

i have this package with the Download speed of up to 2Mb for the extra 5er. = 61euro
    line rental is included. i wouldn't feel so bad if it was a bi monthly charge but its each month,without any calls to mobiles., the robbin ba$ards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Why not go elsewhere?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

spongbob wrote: »
    eircom and perlico are my only options for me.

If you can get BB from Eircom, then you can get it from any of the resellers including Perlico, Vodafone, BT, UTV, Digiweb, etc.
    You could argue the market is so competitive they all charge the same, or else cynically think that they are all fleecing us.

Smart seems a little cheaper, but it is not available in my area (and they almost went bust before).

As I mentioned above most companies are simply reselling Eircoms wholesale BB product, so for the most part there is NO competition in the market. When you pay Vodafone for your BB they turn around and give 90% of the money to Eircom. Also Eircom set the speeds and quality of the BB products.

It is a scam to make it look like there is competition in the market where there is non. A bit like how most of the different washing up powder brands are actually all owned by the same company.

Smart are different as they put their own, much more modern gear in the telephone exchange and can therefore offer lower prices and much better speeds and quality of product.

Likewise with BT's new 24mb product, very good value.

Of course UPC offer by far the best products (10mb for €30, 20mb for €40) and they can do this as they don't use Eircoms network at all.

UPC are the real bargain in the BB market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sineadg

The Vodafone offer is brilliant. ITs 10euros less if you have your mobile phone with them on a pay-monthly package. Its only 29euros per month then, thats about half of what Eircom is. I tried to get the Vodafone one but I only signed up for the Eircom package in April so unfortunately am tied to a contract with them until next April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Sineadg wrote: »
    The Vodafone offer is brilliant. ITs 10euros less if you have your mobile phone with them on a pay-monthly package. Its only 29euros per month then, thats about half of what Eircom is. I tried to get the Vodafone one but I only signed up for the Eircom package in April so unfortunately am tied to a contract with them until next April.

Is the Eircom broadband contract length 6 months or a year?

Anyway i plan to get a phone that connects both to your router AND Eircom. This way incoming calls via VOIP OR Eircom ring the phone. For outfoinf calls it will use VOIP and these calls are covered in a Blueface package. Much cheaper than calling via Eircom, but you have Eircom BB and phone line as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Hi,

What I don't understand about all this is why Vodafone are offering a competing(?) offer to another outfit they own?? I signed with Perlico, (being an 'oldie' they provide the DSFA freebie on the rental, I'm not sure they all do). I got a big bill first and then they took off the allowance. Meantime I had phoned and they said 'you can have the €31.99 deal, instead of the €39 one, no idea why....but there is no €49 'later' thing....

Anyway, the deal is not exactly as they were advertising (in fact they were told by the advertising authority or someone to stop lying...) but it is still cheaper than talktalk, which I had before and I got rid of eircom. One year contract. I suppose I could find a marginally cheaper deal but as was said earlier they are all wholesaling the eircom con..... Did you see that ComReg have decided 'on cost grounds' not to pursue the case that eircom took when ComReg tried to force them to lower their wholesale prices?? What is the f****ng point of ComReg?

Bye, Barry

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BarryM wrote: »
    What is the f****ng point of ComReg?

The point of Comreg is to act as a shield for the Department of Communication and the government against the crappy state of the BB market in Ireland. Basically it works like this:

Dept of Comms: It isn't our fault Comreg is the independent regulator, nothing to do with us.

Comreg: The government haven't given us enough powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

bk wrote: »
    The point of Comreg is to act as a shield for the Department of Communication and the government against the crappy state of the BB market in Ireland. Basically it works like this:

Dept of Comms: It isn't our fault Comreg is the independent regulator, nothing to do with us.

So true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sineadg

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Is the Eircom broadband contract length 6 months or a year?
    Mine is for a year unfortunately.

bk wrote: »

Quite, except that they recently got increased powers to counter exactly what eircom is doing, but they don't/won't....
    The real reason IMO is that the gov is scared shi*less that B&B will bugger off from eircom.....

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shutterspeedlad

Just signed up with Vodafone At Home, (Switched from BT) cos they had 7.6mb line on offer, and BT had no intent on upgrading their lines. Anyway moved over to them, They left me on the 3mb line package, and now I am only getting speeds of 1.7-2.0mb I was told by Tech Support in Vodafone that was acceptable as the advert say "up to" 7.6mb....What a joke!!...I am now tring to get out of the 12 month contact, So you have been warned, stay away!!!..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just signed up with Vodafone At Home, (Switched from BT) cos they had 7.6mb line on offer, and BT had no intent on upgrading their lines. Anyway moved over to them, They left me on the 3mb line package, and now I am only getting speeds of 1.7-2.0mb I was told by Tech Support in Vodafone that was acceptable as the advert say "up to" 7.6mb....What a joke!!...I am now tring to get out of the 12 month contact, So you have been warned, stay away!!!..

You could post in Consumer Issues they might be able to help you.

...as the advert say "up to" 7.6mb....What a joke!!...I am now tring to get out of the 12 month contact, So you have been warned, stay away!!!..

Yes, and this is just what ComReg should be watching.

As to the contract, I'd say the small claims court or whatever it is called is worth a punt, not delivering the contracted service...... Even though they say 'up to' there is an implied quality....

As you say, beware.... no free lunches.

Bye, Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 shutterspeedlad

To be honest I think people are wasting their time with ComReg. We are getting screwed, no matter what service provider you have. I think people should start shouting louder about this.

Advertisement