Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level Maths

Options
  • 03-09-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hi there im just gone into 3rd and I need some help with higher level maths.Last year in second year I picked it and I found to be ok.But this year i'm finding it impossible.If we get ten questions in homework I might get two right.I spoke to my parents and they said I will be fine with grinds and my bro who is in 5th year.My past exams results are **** e.g 33%.So will the grinds be any help or what.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Hi there im just gone into 3rd and I need some help with higher level maths.Last year in second year I picked it and I found to be ok.But this year i'm finding it impossible.If we get ten questions in homework I might get two right.I spoke to my parents and they said I will be fine with grinds and my bro who is in 5th year.My past exams results are **** e.g 33%.So will the grinds be any help or what.

Thanks in advance!

You just need to think about it properly, you're probably making silly mistakes, I found that

Try stick with it as pass for the leaving is similar to hons JC....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Thanks in advance!

Neon-Circles is right, stick with it. It really won't be the end of the world if you don't end up with an A. In fact, it will be beneficial because, again as Neon said, it's a very similar course for pass LC. Grinds would certainly help. They might seem a bit dear, but if you really want to do honours, then they will be worth it in the end. Also, your bro would be of great help too. Having done some of the Leaving Cert xourse and all the Junior Cert course, he should certainly be able to help you with some points you can't fully grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 weecorkonion

Heya. I felt the same as you're feeling this time last year in hons maths. I was failing every single test our teacher gave us! I did grinds from January-June and they helped me soooooooo much. Ended up getting a B in the pre which I was sooo happy with. Getting my results now on wed but have a feeling I did quite well in the JC maths papers! You'd be amazed what you'd learn on a one to one basis. It really helped me. Doing ordinary level now in 4th year and it's a breeze coz we've most of it covered from hons JC. Give hons a shot...it's worth it..good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

i thought boards.ie doesnt allow commercial advertising?
    your promoting your site to get people to click on your google ads for money so thats commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you have a problem with a post you should report it. Honestly it'd make my job so much easier instead of trawling through the LC and JC boards trying dlete these spammer's posts :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 talk2050

Sorry for the advertisement of talk2050.com on this thread, i didn't read the rules nor did i realize such a simple request could annoy so many people. All i wanted was for someone to log into talk2050 check it out and give some constructive feedback on matters that i could improve on or add in. Like i said the site is just in its early stages and there is plenty of work to do. The site does offer free online video maths lessons and yes there are advertisements of mostly an educational matter that i hope will help the site pay for itself. So i guess it is commercial but at least its honest and i hope talk2050 can help lots of students with their maths someday.

sincerely
    talk2050.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

talk2050 wrote: »
    Sorry for the advertisement of talk2050.com on this thread, i didn't read the rules nor did i realize such a simple request could annoy so many people. All i wanted was for someone to log into talk2050 check it out and give some constructive feedback on matters that i could improve on or add in. Like i said the site is just in its early stages and there is plenty of work to do. The site does offer free online video maths lessons and yes there are advertisements of mostly an educational matter that i hope will help the site pay for itself. So i guess it is commercial but at least its honest and i hope talk2050 can help lots of students with their maths someday.

sincerely
    talk2050.com
    Bollocks, you are spamming and your website is for monetary gain. If you wish to advertise you can pay for it, I'm sure you understand how that works.

Piste if you have any problems like this again either report them in the Feedback forum/spammer thread or PM me directly. Smods can wipe out all posts in one swoop, so it's no problem for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Thanks Gordon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Back to the topic on hand :)

I know it can be very discouraging to get the wrong answer, but you can sit an entire exam and get somewhere in the region of 70% without getting one right answer.

But if your having trouble, everytime you tackle a question, sit back and think to your self, what are the asking, how are you going to go about it and then try the question. Barging headfirst into question and trying to save time is a mistkae made by many people, and the usually end up worse off.

I would definitely get some help from your brother as well if he is willling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Thanks for the advice guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jelly:)

There is a big leap in honours Jc maths every year . . . at least thats what I found.

At the start of third year I wasn't doing well at all and found it very hard, I stuck with it though and always spent a little extra time on Maths homework, Eventually I noticed a difference, I got a low C in the Mox and got an A in the real thing!! I didn't get grinds but I spent most of my studying time on Maths, it paid off and I am soo happy I stuck with it!!!

I am now doing honours maths in Ty I am finding it hard but I hope if I try hard I may get better in time.

For now anyway Id stick with honours, you have nothing to loose 3 people in last years hons class dropped down to pass after the mox and thought it was a breeze!!

Chances are youl be bored in a pass class this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

im in the same boat as you at the moment
    we got a test and i got a d instesd of my usual a/b
    im getting grinds next month
    i hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daftpunk

stick with the honors. i'm the same as you if we got 5 questions for homework id be able to do 1 or 2.. im getting a grind and it seems to be helpin..

Advertisement