Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband with static ip address

Options
  • 03-09-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

I need to get broadband at home which has a static IP address.
    I'd prefer to get this without having to get a phone line.
    Does anyone know any providers that do this.
    Currently I have mobile 3 broadband but this uses a dynamic IP address.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Irish broadband breeze used to, don't know if they still do. Are you sure you need a static IP?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

hi,
    yes definetly need a static ip address as i'll be connecting to a database server hosted in another office and thats the only way they'll allow me to connect.
    i'm based in dublin by the way.
    thanks, i'll try to get info from irish broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Some Digiweb Metro packages come with a fixed IP (and some come with an option to get one, I think).

If work is paying look at getting a business package from someone, they're more likely to give static IPs to business packages.

thanks,
    work is paying, i tried a couple of the business packages but they seem to all come with phonelines.

• Advertisement

mikekerry wrote: »
    thanks,
    work is paying, i tried a couple of the business packages but they seem to all come with phonelines.

I'm pretty certain BT will do what's known as 'naked DSL' you will get a phone line installed and then cancel the voice portion but can keep the DSL, it is business only. I'm not sure they still do this so check with them. If they do, there is no line rental AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

If you are in one of our areas (smart) you can have a static IP for an extra €5 per month on any package.....http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package_broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain BT will do what's known as 'naked DSL' you will get a phone line installed and then cancel the voice portion but can keep the DSL, it is business only. I'm not sure they still do this so check with them. If they do, there is no line rental AFAIK.

No one does naked DSL in Ireland yet sadly.....

crawler wrote: »
    No one does naked DSL in Ireland yet sadly.....

BT used to for business.

Digiweb will give a static IP on business metro too. If you're really against a phoneline that would be my recommendation.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    BT used to for business.

On their LLU lines only, I think. That was a long time ago though, so I've no idea of the current status.

If you don't want phone line, then that narrows down your search! Metro is probably the best wireless option at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Micky Finn

National Broadband Ltd. www.nbb.ie provide static ip with their service and do not require a 'phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless you find 850ms latency annoying.

Micky Finn wrote: »
    National Broadband Ltd. www.nbb.ie provide static ip with their service and do not require a 'phone line.

My initial reaction was to ban you for blatant pimping. I left it for a few minutes and then decided to leave it, for the humour value, alone!

Suggesting a satellite "broadband" connection to a Dublin-based user who needs to connect to a DB server remotely is funny. Embarrassing and cringe-worthy are 2 other adjectives that I can come up with immediately.

To be clear, Satellite "broadband" (and many question the use of "broadband" in this context) is considered a last resort by the vast majority of industry (including those in the business of satellite connectivity). In the vast majority of Dublin city, there should be no need to have satellite (given the variety of wireless providers covering various footprints with differing wireless technologies).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though sadly there *ARE* Satellite users in Dublin City. Fewer than there was.

Fibre, Cable, DSL, Wireless and *STILL* some people can't get it in the Capital.

cgarvey,
    what do you recommend.
    irish broadband do a service with 3 megs for 40 a month(before tax).
    this is a wireless service.
    i'll give digiweb metro a shout and see what they offer

I'd acutally recommend you ask your neighbours and see, because service quality from both does really vary quite a bit.

However, I'd generally recommend Metro over IBB, if you can get it. I'm not Metro's biggest fan (their support sucks, royally, for one), but it's built on better technology, has much less complaints, and seems to have a better managed network (less contention issues, less contention at peak time, etc.). That and you get a phone line (with a geographical inbound number) thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Whats the problem with getting the phoneline? Its your only man if you want a stable connection. If you think you will be able to do any serious work over an Irish Broadband connecton you may get a nasty shock. Ditto for any other of the Wireless services. You will save yourself time getting a phoneline in the long run.

kmick wrote: »
    Ditto for any other of the Wireless services.
    Quite simply untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Had IBB for a year without too many problems, not 100% reliable though and pings go mad at peak time in Maynooth area anyway.

We had a static IP and we didn't have to request it, they just give one to everyone. When you ring for support to ask you for your IP Address and they know who you are and everything from that then.

Should still confirm with them that they do offer static IP's. So far in the new house I'm in the eircom connection has been about as unreliable as the IBB connection. We had a 2Mbps Breeze connection and some of the guys I lived with used to work from home and connect over VPN to Intel and they didn't have any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Dynamic DNS (DDNS) allows you to create a hostname that points to your dynamic IP or static IP address or URL. We also provide an update mechanism which makes the hostname work with your dynamic IP address.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Its free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement