Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting a house to social welfare recipients

Options
  • 03-09-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi there,

I'm thinking of renting my house out and was thinking of renting it to social welfare recipients. Any idea of how I go about doing this, or does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,
    Trix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

If you just advertise it in the usual way and do not include 'EHB not accepted' as many landlords do, you'll certainly have some SW tenants contacting you.

No doubt you'll have people on this thread telling you not to rent to SW tenants for all sorts of reasons, but my advice would be to trust your own judgement when meeting prospective tenants, regardless what way they're paying their rent. I was on rent allowance for the years it took me to get through college as a single mother and there are many people on benefits in similar circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

A friend of mine is due a baby and in her circumstances has to get an apartment that accepts rent receipts. She had to go via Social Welfare to get a list of landlords who accepted rent receipts. If you would like to do something like this or even accept recipts on a more general basis then best bet I think would be to contact citizens information as they'll give you the answer you're looking for:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

As said it can be put in the advert, just a word of warning to you though I rented to one of these families and had awful trouble with them, the house was raided twice and they left me 15 thousands worth of damage in the house when they left and had holes drilled into the walls for stashing drugs...never ever ever again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Advertisement