Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the R725 [ Tullow Road] be accessed from the new N9. Carlow By-pass

Options
  • 03-09-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Have not been down since the Carlow by-pass opened , need to go to Tullow on Friday from Dublin so wonder about the above or is it still necessary to go into Carlow
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ircoha wrote: »
    Have not been down since the Carlow by-pass opened , need to go to Tullow on Friday from Dublin so wonder about the above or is it still necessary to go into Carlow
    Thanks

Simply put no...Bypass will be no addition to you comin from Dublin. Presume you will be veering left at C.Dermot and heading to Tullow.

Carlow bypass ends just before Castledermot on the N9 on the Carlow side of the town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ircoha wrote: »
    Thanks

No, the Tullow road cannot be accessed directly from the by-pass but you don't have to go through the Carlow town centre anyway, just the outer ring road.

Anyways Carlow is nowhere near as jammed now the bypass is open.

Your best bet is to take the R418 from Castledermot directly to Tullow. Swing left just after the hump bridge in CastleD . It's of similar standard to the R725 Carlow-Tullow road so there's no advantage of going to Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Over and out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Or just go the N81. I think it's much faster than the N7/N9. Provided you aren't afraid to overtake, that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i wonder do alot of people do that?

Go into carlow when going to Tullow? Surely it adds at least 10 miles to the journey.
    Tullow is sign posted at Castledermot isn't it? I can't remember ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Castledermot is 14Km from Tullow.

lucylu wrote: »
    Castledermot is 14Km from Tullow.

and carlow is about 16km from Tullow
    and Carlow is about 7km from Castledermot

if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ShayK1 wrote: »
    and Carlow is about 7km from Carlow

Quoted for truth.

testicle wrote: »
    Quoted for truth.

doh!

Edited the stupidity

its about 11Km for Castledermot to Carlow.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Or just go the N81. I think it's much faster than the N7/N9. Provided you aren't afraid to overtake, that is...

Not sure if it is faster, there's hell of a lot of bad bends on that road and traffic can be slow at times. N81 is far more twisty than the Dublin-Castledermott-Tullow route.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not sure if it is faster, there's hell of a lot of bad bends on that road and traffic can be slow at times. N81 is far more twisty than the Dublin-Castledermott-Tullow route.

Can't say I'd agree with that - there's only one bend on the whole route between Baltinglass and Dublin that I'd actually touch the brakes on. The quarry trucks can be a pain alright, but if you know where to overtake and aren't afraid to put the foot down, then it's grand.

Suppose it really depends what side of Dublin you want to go to. My parents live in Templeogue so I'd always go the N81 and turn onto the Ballinascorney Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Starbeam

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Your best bet is to take the R418 from Castledermot directly to Tullow. Swing left just after the hump bridge in CastleD . It's of similar standard to the R725 Carlow-Tullow road so there's no advantage of going to Carlow.

Yup I agree! and they've improved that CastleD to Tullow road massively in the last year! It's safer than the Carlow to Tullow road at the mo!!

there's only one bend on the whole route between Baltinglass and Dublin that I'd actually touch the brakes on.
    QUOTE]

:eek: I travel this road every day and I can name a right handful

lucylu wrote: »
    there's only one bend on the whole route between Baltinglass and Dublin that I'd actually touch the brakes on.

:eek: I travel this road every day and I can name a right handful

And that's why it takes an hour and a half for me to do a journey that should only take 50 minutes!

Advertisement