Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ML110 €160 before shipping

Options
  • 03-09-2008 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys,

Haven't made a 'bargain alerts' post yet, but spotted this on elara.ie

ML110 G5 Xeon 3065 (2330/1333-4MB) Dual Core, 1x1GB, Non Hot Plug SATA 250GB, DVD¦R/RW, 3 Year Next Business Day Warranty

no monitor or other basics (keyboard/mouse) included, but the rest of the specs are here:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1466838#

seems to be quite good, let me know if y'all think so!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

3 year warranty also. Well spotted, OP.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭davehey79

could i get this use all my existing stuff on my PC now and just install CP Pro onto it and use as a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's good but has been posted here a few times already.

It's been over on HDUK for weeks someones done a bit of work on one and posted the following:
    Not tried any of the Windows flavour, but the following more or less work.

Fedora Core 9 i386 - everything works bar RAID.
    SLED 10 sp1 - ditto
    RHEL9 - less successful than SLED. I tried the x64 version. The supplied drivers don't work and seem to be for i386 only.
    Ubuntu Server - installed without a hitch.
    Mac OS X - 10.5.4 - graphics VESA only. Onboard NIC not recognised, nor drivers available (Broadcom NetXtreme Server NIC BCM5722). Needs tweaking to keep stable.

For Linux, I would avoid the 64 bit variants, unless you know how to roll your own drivers.

I would also recommend that you install onto one disk first, get the drivers sorted out and then build your RAID(s).

So it looks like Ubuntu Server is the best free software for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's one noisy bastard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

lovely, just bought one for my brother and parents to ruin instead of ruining mine lol

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It's one noisy bastard though.
    Interesting. The Dell Poweredge SC440 that a load of us bought from a thread here is really quiet!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

esel wrote: »
    Interesting. The Dell Poweredge SC440 that a load of us bought from a thread here is really quiet!

Picked mine up today - great little bargain folks! Nosey when it first turns on then after 30seconds fan speed lowers and its the same noise that comes from a "normal" desktop machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭PCDub

Got mine the other day, nice machines and very quite after about 20 secs. Bit disappointed there is no full length pci-e slot, elara said there was which is the main reason i bought it. :mad:

PCDub wrote: »
    Got mine the other day, nice machines and very quite after about 20 secs. Bit disappointed there is no full length pci-e slot, elara said there was which is the main reason i bought it. :mad:

I believe yea can a slot at the end of the PCI-e slot and fit a x16 card - just limits the bandwidth which 2~ year old cards dont use anywho from what I've read

btw - Elara have added €8 to the price of this system - now a total of €169.41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's a good deal. You can probably mod the PCI-E slot to cater for longer cards. Anyone know who makes the harddrives in HP computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Monotype wrote: »
    That's a good deal. You can probably mod the PCI-E slot to cater for longer cards. Anyone know who makes the harddrives in HP computers?

They used to be Western Digital but haven't had a poke at the newer models yet so that could be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

seem to be out of stock now

Picked up my second one of these now - they are outta stock now and are marked at €395~
    Got the second one for €170 so I'm still happy :)

Cheers dlol123 for the tip-off!

Well done to anyone who got one (or two!). Dual-core Xeon, 250GB HDD, DVDRW for a great price. I'd say google for details on modding the appropriate PCI slot to accept a good card, and you're away.

Not your ornery onager

Monotype wrote: »

much work in that?

Haven't seen the inside of one of these, but if there's room for the card to fit in the case (no obstructions etc.), it could be straightforward enough.

On the Dell Poweredge SC440, it involved cutting a small piece from the back end of the PCI slot (basically opening up the back of the slot). The card will then engage in the slot, with a lot of it overhanging at the back. Not too well up on the technicality of multipliers, but apparently the loss of the overhanging connectors on the back of the card does not matter too much.

If you're thinking of doing this mod, research it on google first. On the Dell SC440, I used a hot Stanley knife to open the rear of the slot. Slowly does it, plenty of light, and good eyesight needed! It was a bit hairy doing it, but worked out OK.

"Your mileage may vary."

Not your ornery onager

excellent, ill have a look into it

theres no xp drivers for the intel side of things tho, is there any way around that? ive found the drivers for the rest of it, but nothing that actually seems to work smoothly without the main drivers for the xeon for xp

This forum might be a better place for that question. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Got one myself, they're so sweet, great value.
    price seems to have rocketed back again!
    Also very quiet I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dlol123

Hi Guys,

Glad to see many of you got some use from my first bargains post!
    -dlol

Advertisement