Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1979 VW Camper - is it possible to retrofit a radiator?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As title suggests, looking to find out if the air cooler can be switched for a water cooler. The obvious fear is for the engine to over heat.

All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I take it you're talking about an early T25 / T3 ?

You would have to do a complete engine swap from aircooled to watercooled, install all the pipework and electrics, change the front of the vehicle (extra hole, extra brackets) and depending on which engine you go for you might have gearbox issues as well.

Do-able, but pointless.

A well maintained and properly driven aircooled engine won't overheat (provided all the tinwork is in place)...the same way a badly maintained and hard driven waterboxer will overheat just the same, despite the extra/different cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

peasant wrote: »
    I take it you're talking about an early T25 / T3 ?

You would have to do a complete engine swap from aircooled to watercooled, install all the pipework and electrics, change the front of the vehicle (extra hole, extra brackets) and depending on which engine you go for you might have gearbox issues as well.

Do-able, but pointless.

A well maintained and properly driven aircooled engine won't overheat (provided all the tinwork is in place)...the same way a badly maintained and hard driven waterboxer will overheat just the same, despite the extra/different cooling.

Apologies it was actually a 1972 model (I'm posting on behalf of a mate).

He was thinking of changing engine, chassis, gearbox, clutch .. everything to a 1.9l 115bhp engine from crashed caddy van. He was thinking this way would be more econimical, faster and more reliable? This has lots of fiddly electronics which might be a bit awkward aswell so maybe one from a 90s golf .. is that still pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know enough about T2's ...but that sounds like massive surgery (don't forget better brakes as well!). I've heard of it being done before (with a radiator in th rear) but I've never seen one.

But why butcher a classic that way? It's going to be massively expensive too ...might as well go the whole hog and buy a Danbury van (new from Mexico or Brazil with the watercooled engine)

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=19

t2.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It sure is, but as peasant has said it's major surgery. Trying to get someone to undertake this probably going to be difficult also. You'd really wanna be handy at undertaking something like this yourself. The engine is in the back and radiator is in the front.

The 2 i know of both have the radiator located at the front of the van. One has a fake front wheel on the front and the radiator is hidden behind that. The other has got the radiator hidden behind the front panel. It's got an extra vent along the bottom of the panel to let air in. The vent is the same as the one high up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Totally pointless exercise for such a classic vdub. Apart from the thought of probably halving the price of your classic by such a move.

And as an avid vw enthusiast, I probably wont be able to sleep tonight after reading this thread;);)

Repent...the end is nigh....:D:D

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Agree with your concerns Kadman. but with the price of petrol these day and the rubbish mpg ya get out of an aircooled but i think it's a fab idea. Unfortunatly i don't have the experience to perform such surgery so will be keeping it real!!!!!!

Sleep tight!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

kikel wrote: »
    Agree with your concerns Kadman. but with the price of petrol these day and the rubbish mpg ya get out of an aircooled but i think it's a fab idea. Unfortunatly i don't have the experience to perform such surgery so will be keeping it real!!!!!!

Sleep tight!!!

Well if its mpg from the aircooled thats your main concern, then put your efforts and cash into tweaking your air cooled engine. There are many sources of improving engine mpg , and performance on the web as well as specific publications for the purpose. Apart from the fact that the vdub plant is probably the easiest to work on , you could do worse than educate your self on the simplicity of keeping your classic in tip top form.

End of rant......ZZZZzzzzz........

kadman

Advertisement