Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 On Demand

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:55pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd give anybody who has missed it the heads up on Channel 4's on demand service. Unlike BBC's service, this is open to the UK and Ireland with tonnes of programs and movies to view. Link below.

http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Great site but it dosen't work on Apples:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Great site ............. hpe it does what it says on de tin

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've watched a bit on it recently. Old comedies and dramas. Picture isn't great but still a decent service. On the streamed version they break "hour long" shows in two and have about 3 30 sec ads inbetween

If you "download" to watch later there's no pause. Can only be viewed on the C4 service and valid for 3 views in 48 hours (or similar)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Great site but it dosen't work on Apples:mad:
    Your right, it needs electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Dodge wrote: »
    If you "download" to watch later there's no pause. Can only be viewed on the C4 service and valid for 3 views in 48 hours (or similar)

Ah so that might explain why it expires in two days if you watch it but then reactivates if you re-download it.
    Re-download = instant download in this instance as it's already on your PC from the previous download.

I'm rapidly getting addicted to the back episodes of "Grand Designs" at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Someone told me that it eats up your bandwidth, constantly uploading content to others. Anyone confirm this? I've stayed away from it as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can't confirm on denit it sorry, didn't read the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Someone told me that it eats up your bandwidth, constantly uploading content to others. Anyone confirm this? I've stayed away from it as a result.

I think an standard half hour (i.e. 25 mins) programme is 170 Mb to download and a standard hour programme (i.e. 50 mins with ads removed) is approx 360Mb.
    So, obviously, if you use it a lot then it will eat up your bandwidth.

It does use bittorrent to download and upload content and it's included in start up when you turn on your PC.
    I usually open task manager and kill the KHost.exe and KService.exe processes when I'm not using it so it only downloads/uploads when I'm actually using it.

If you want to google I think I've seen instructions somewhere on how to edit your registry settings so that it doesn't start on boot up also.

Advertisement