Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Difference in Currys in the North

Options
  • 03-09-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I was looking a buying a LG 47" LCD in Currys on Saturday the price in Galway is 1349e,so had a look at the currys site uk and the same tv is £789 which is around 990 euro.Thats a savings of over 350 euro by taking a trip ip North.Why are we been riped off down here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I agree ripoffs merchants.

Why are we been riped off down here? Simply because we tolerate it!

If your going to the north for the TV you will have to drive and collect it. Ask richersounds in Belfast to price match and post it to you. I bet you'll get a better deal w/o having to drive.

BTW - I seem to be suggesting RS in a lot of posts my only reason is becuase I think you'll get a better deal than most other places, I only wish they'd respond to my thread on their board forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Why? Because they can, and because we will buy it!!

I can guarantee you if people vote with their wallets and stop buying overpriced goods, you can be sure they will have to reduce the prices. They don't rip people off as much up north because the consumer association wouldn't stand for it. The whole Tesco thing is a good example, with things getting much higher mark-up "down south".

But most people here in the south just don't shop around, and thus the rip-off culture (which is now on the way out thanks to people tightening their belts!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭ongarite

I don't disagree that we are being rip-offed but not its not helped by the huge collapse in sterling vs euro in the last 2 months. This has made a purchase of any goods in sterling considerably cheaper than irish euro price.

Should an Irish shop reduce its price because sterling is failing? I don't think so; who knows how long they have that stock and what currency it was bought in and what exchange rate.

Advertisement