Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue or Digital on an LCD

Options
  • 03-09-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am getting an LCD tv around 32 wide. Currently have NTL analogue, can anyone tell me how bad it will look? If i get NTL digital will it make a difference? Is it something you get over or annoys you forever?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a huge difference in quality as I noticed only too well on the in-laws analogue tv displayed on their plasma. However if you don't see digital tv anywhere else then you'll live with it, but if you do then you'll want it.

I got a new replacement lcd for one of the rooms and I still marvel at the quality of the [icture on the channels that are less compressed - no comparison in analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 natman2007

Thank you, first person to give me a clear answer - thanks. If anyone else wants to add any opinions please do - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danIrl

It depends on the quality of your analogue signal, but generally it will look worse on your LCD than your CRT. You do eventually get used to it though!

That said, the NTL digital quality is not that good and they dont provide DVI/HDMI output from their setbox.

But it really is a no brainer, since NTL digital value pack is now cheaper than NTL analogue anyway...

In my opinion, CRT is better than standard LCD (at least in terms of television usage), but it is very difficult to buy them these days. I think Plasma are a more realistic step up in quality/features...

What LCD are you buying anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not much difference between Plasma and LCD

You really need a cheap HD Ready (1366 x 768) LCD for basic TV (a 1920x1080 37" minumum for HD).

Analogue NTL will look terrible.

Digital NTL will look poor, but usuable. (SCART RGB only).

Satellite or Digital Terrestrial will be OK, but not as good as on a decent 32" CRT sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

It may not look as good initially, but you can certainly improve it. Most sources I've read recommend turning off all the bells and whistles on an LCD such as "SuperEnhancePicMode" or whatever and just let the basic picture come through, and I've found that that improves it a lot. I think it also takes a few hours to 'settle' when you first get the LCD (or is that my imagination?). Signal strength, as mentioned before, is also a factor - a booster, or less splitting, may help.

At the moment, for most channels, my NTL analogue picture quality is practically as good as on my old crt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement