Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Coax

Options
  • 02-09-2008 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I have a few TV points in the house. I presume this is standard coaxial cable (the cheapest probably).
    I'm thinking of getting freesat installed. Would there be much deterioration of picture quality (especially HD) if using these TV points?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You'll need to determine what kind of cable is being used.

Ideally it should be cable with copper braid, and also copper tape. Take a look here for ideas of good quality cable.

It may be RG6-type cable, generally having a copper or tinned braid, with a tinned plastic tape.

It also of course may be that low-grade cable that just has a bit of braid screening, and no foil or copper screen. Tends to usually be brown. This stuff should never be used for anything... but sparkies occassionally think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Two major problems with cheap coax due to its lack of proper screen.
    1) Your Satellite system transmits an illegal level of RF from 950MHz to 2100MHz interfering with security, cordless phones, Mobile phones and other systems if the screening of cable is poor.

2) Certain channels will breakup when security, cordless phones, Mobile phones and other RF systems are used.

It's irresponsible and technically illegal (point 1) to use inadequate cable even if the picture is fine. The cable must have a solid screen and foil to screen adequately. The 1st past of the satellite receiver is actually on the dish, thus the signal can be 1000 times the power of a TV aerial signal.

Even with a TV aerial they should not use the very loose open braid but use double screen (solid braid + foil) as the difference even on interference from cars/motorbikes passing is dramatic (dots across analogue picture and momentary freeze of digital picture).

As you guess the builders are greedy and want to save a few euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If it's brown cable, you can be almost certain that it's the cheap stuff.
    Sadly, this type of cable is really only suitable for picking up analogue channels direct off air. It's not even suitable for modern cable tv.

I don't really know what the builders were thinking installing this type of cable as it's effectively useless for the 90%+ of people who will want to watch either satellite or digital cable.

It might be possible to pull new RG-6 cable through the same ducts (assuming there are ducts). This can be done by finding where the existing coax runs to, securely attaching the new coax to one end and pulling it through.

NB you really need to SECURELY attach the two cables. Electricians know how to do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Ask your electrician if he will guarantee the cable against any possible future problems, you may then find he quickly changes his/her mind about using cheap cable.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Solair wrote: »
    I don't really know what the builders were thinking installing this type of cable as it's effectively useless for the 90%+ of people who will want to watch either satellite or digital cable.

Because they dont have to make it work.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Solair wrote: »
    If it's brown cable, you can be almost certain that it's the cheap stuff.
    Sadly, this type of cable is really only suitable for picking up analogue channels direct off air. It's not even suitable for modern cable tv.

Actually it's not even suitable for Analogue TV. Occasionally in Black or White as well as grey.

It's rubbish. It even snaps if you try to use it as washing line.

The air cored version *might* do as irrigation tubing or leaky RF for proximity radio.

Advertisement