Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Drop (of drinkable water)

Options
  • 02-09-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just on rte and which will be online in the next few days I imagine.

I have to say I'm shocked and surprised that things have remained so bad in the western lakes, I really thought the era of mass polution had passed with various directives and new plant investment.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

If you haven't seen this programme, I'm sure it will be avail at http://www.rte.ie/tv/index.html in the coming days. Everyone should take an hour to watch it, start to finish.
    I failed biology at school, but I know enough to realise that if the situation doesn't begin to improve, property prices will be the least of our worries in this country. It must begin with committment from government, and follow with the required funding for the capital projects required by local authorities. We should not reject water charges if this is what it takes to recover our lakes and guarantee a fresh water supply to all.
    I am upset with what I have just seen on TV. Well done to RTE (et al) for a great production. I hope it will kick start some action in this area, because without fresh water, we are all knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am not against water charges but with the way this country works I am sure that the money would be mismanaged and misspent in short order by the Councils.
    The EPA have powers to prosecute councils for polluting, have you seen any council fined by the EPA?
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am not against water charges but with the way this country works I am sure that the money would be mismanaged and misspent in short order by the Councils.
    The EPA have powers to prosecute councils for polluting, have you seen any council fined by the EPA?

LOL I love the way people love to assume things that suit their way of thinking:

http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/enforce/prosecute/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Let me guess - we are gonna run out of fresh drinking water, so we're gonna have to introduce water charges to fix it all up right :rolleyes:

christ, what next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RobAMerc your cynicism is poorly placed. Dublin (in particular) is right royally fcuked - it just doesn't know it yet.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Look at his sig - what other sort of response do you expect? He's in permanent "victim" mode. (j/k)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Agree that efficient use of funds would be required....particularly that the government (apparently) have a serious budget shortfall to consider.
    The local authorities are in the best position (geographically) to deal with their services, so the job should be driven locally, and managed from a higher level.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    Let me guess - we are gonna run out of fresh drinking water, so we're gonna have to introduce water charges to fix it all up right :rolleyes:

christ, what next
    I know, it seems like "not another tax", but if that is what it takes, then I think it's worth considering. It's not a good time to be looking for government funding for capital programmes, and waiting is really an option on this issue.

taconnol wrote: »
    LOL I love the way people love to assume things that suit their way of thinking:

http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/enforce/prosecute/

I stand corrected, man that €9,500 fine will really hurt Galway coco I bet they will be sure to fix the chlorination unit after that hefty fine.
    And the crypto outbreak? that should warrant a court case or am I mistaken

Ah I thought the same a few years ago - I just happen to have written an essay on this a few months ago.

I think Crypto should warrant a fine/case but...sometimes things get political. I wonder if anyone would take a civil case?

Edit: There were even bigger fines in 2006:
    http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/enforce/prosecute/2006/

And remember these fines are over and above licences granted by the EPA to discharge a certain amount of pollution. Pollution licences are just that: licences to pollute.

Thats all it really is, the EPA would hardly go after the councils big style, they have too many political connections and if a serious fine was imposed, the EPA would have to answer too many questions.
    To be seen to be doing something is about all the EPA can do at present.
    Unfortunately political patronage is alive and well here, and as long as the present system remains then nothing will be done.
    I may sound jaded and cynical but I have little to no confidence in the ability or will of the Govt's both local and national to effect real change in the area of water.

• Advertisement

Well the EPA operate as fully as they can under current legislation. But of course that depends on the government!

Unfortunetley, the political corruption legacy remains in this country, but the water issue is something that effects us all......them aswell. Without sounding like a tree hugger, I think that there is a responsibility on us all to be (more) aware of the water issue (crisis?), and decide what contribution we are going to make.
    More than any other issue, I think the people should pressure government on this issue. Perhaps I'm reacting to what I have just seen on TV, but it's terrifying to consider what is around the corner if action is not taken (urgently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jeremyquinn

I am really scared now. Yes I would be grateful if you charged me through the nose for water.

They scare the life out of people for 55 minutes and then get to the heart of the issue, water charges will cure all our woes.

What a farce.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So we need to conserve water?
    Why are waterbutts not more widespread for such uses as watering gardens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cos this is Ireland, not Germany?

Mike

Cabaal wrote: »
    So we need to conserve water?
    Why are waterbutts not more widespread for such uses as watering gardens?

Watering my garden? are ye mad:D I nearly need to pump the thing out with the rain we have today!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I am really scared now. Yes I would be grateful if you charged me through the nose for water.

They scare the life out of people for 55 minutes and then get to the heart of the issue, water charges will cure all our woes.

What a farce.
    Bugger off, casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Whether you were with or against that programme. Read this from experts lobbying national governmnets everywhere. It's informed , simple, practical and puts forward solutions. http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/PB2/pb2ch3.pdf

Plan B 2.0: Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2006), available for free downloading and purchase at www.earthpolicy.org/Books/PB2/index.htm.

Advertisement