Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for modified cars

Options
  • 02-09-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience or advice when declaring modifications to your insurance company. The car has been off the road while the mods were being done (turbo etc).
    The driver(my son) wanted to make sure he was adequately covered for getting back of the road. His insurers want an engineers report done on the car first. Its not that unusual or spectacular, anyone know whats involved.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

you just go to a garage and get them to check the work carried out is up to scratch and get a form (engineers report) stamped by them. then off to the insurance company with it. not too complictaed, a few of my mates have done it without any hasslt, mines off the road getting a few bits done too at the mo, and ill be doing the same getting it all above board for insurance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Mick,
    Sounds straightforward enough.
    Do you then have to go off to the Building Society to get a mortgage to pay the insurance company ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

you just go to a garage and get them to check the work carried out is up to scratch and get a form (engineers report) stamped by them. then off to the insurance company with it. not too complictaed, a few of my mates have done it without any hasslt, mines off the road getting a few bits done too at the mo, and ill be doing the same getting it all above board for insurance reasons.

Will an engineers report from whoever done the work not do for the insurance or does it have to be done in a different independant garage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

afaik as long as they are willing to put their stamp on it, the insurance company is happy. If anything goes wrong they'll pass the liability on to the garage....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

"it was like that when i bought it.."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

What company would be the best for modified cars?
    I know that Axa dont want to insure modified cars at all.

copeyhagen wrote: »

Yeah, but then when you buy the car and when you get it insured they usually ask you has it been modified and if you say no, and it actually is you made a false statement and they can proclaim your insurance policy invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

im with quinn direct, just delared some recent mods (upgraded brakes, lowered suspension) for the grand total of €78 (12% of my premium!!!) tis grand tho! €78 for peace of mind aint too bad!!!

engineers report should be handy to get, they just want to know the work is safe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks everyone,
    I found a sample engineers report form on the Quinn site. Nothing too detailed, as Miss Enzo says they just want to know the work is safe. Any registered SIMI garage will do. All they have to do is check the modifications and stamp the form.

Friend of mine is with Quinn and he has a Honda Civic 1.4 and only on the base of the lexus lights, angel lights, alloys, bodykit and spolier insurance went up for 350 euro.

• Advertisement

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Friend of mine is with Quinn and he has a Honda Civic 1.4 and only on the base of the lexus lights, angel lights, alloys, bodykit and spolier insurance went up for 350 euro.
    they have no power increases therefore dont have to be declaired, although better safe than sorry, should contest it though.

not worth the paper its written on.
    Zorba wrote: »
    Will an engineers report from whoever done the work not do for the insurance or does it have to be done in a different independant garage ?
    i dont think so, because i do alot of my own work but im not a mechanic, it has to be simi approved, but if it was a garage that is simi approved that done it then i cant see them minding.

they have no power increases therefore dont have to be declaired, although better safe than sorry, should contest it though.

not true!! all modifications have to be declared.... a kitted civic is more high risk for being robbed therefore higher premium!! also if u were to crash *touch wood* and you have ur mods delclared this is taken into consideration when they decide on how much to pay out! :D

believe me i had an in depth conversation about this with a supervisor in quinn last week since the dope i was talkin to hadnt a clue!!

miss enzo wrote: »
    not true!! all modifications have to be declared.... a kitted civic is more high risk for being robbed therefore higher premium!! also if u were to crash *touch wood* and you have ur mods delclared this is taken into consideration when they decide on how much to pay out! :D

believe me i had an in depth conversation about this with a supervisor in quinn last week since the dope i was talkin to hadnt a clue!!
    sorry i meant to say shouldnt affect the premium, not they didnt need to be declaired, my bad :o i was in a hurry earlier when typing lol

not worth the paper its written on.

it was mostly intended as tongue in cheek!

i drive an accord sirt, mugen kit,vtec cables that kick in quicker (not sure what theyre called) coilovers, mugen panel filter, twin exhausts (jdm, sounds similar to mugen)

when i was switching my insurance from my stock euro r over to the sirt there was no mention of any modifications. they just flew through it in about 2 mins and that was it.

never asked me anything about the car.

so is it up to them to find out details of the car or is it up to you to declare them? im guessing it is up to them.

wrong!! its up to u!!!

they dont give a sh!t if u dont declare!!! at the end of the day if summit happens its ur insurance they could declare null and void!!

From the quinn direct website

"You must tell us immediately if:
    you plan to make changes to the vehicle that improves its
    value, performance or attractiveness to thieves"

"If you do not tell us about any relevant
    changes, we may:
    i reject or reduce your claim; or
    ii cancel the policy and treat it as though it has never existed."

thats all well and good for changes u make but what if you bought the car as is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Then you should have the knowledge to know how it's been modified and to declare such mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

You knew the car was modified and didn't declare the modifications.
    They ask on the phone has the vehicle been modified its in the standard questions.

Weather you like it or not your insurance is void.

Your options are. I know your not going to like this but
    • Restore it to factory spec
    • Declare all modifications
    • Sell the car

Advertisement