Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to stay near college when writing thesis?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

I am leaving Dublin to study for my Masters in Galway, however for one reason and another I do not particularly wish to leave Dublin, and wouldn't, only that Galway is the only place the course is. So I was wondering if, come thesis-writing time in summer when official classes etc are over, would it be possible to move back to Dublin and write my thesis from there? Or would that be too impractical what with having to meet up with my supervisor, etc? Do people do this?
    Opinions appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It might be benefical to move back to dublin if you need to do research in the national library or trinity. Otherwise supervisors have email these days, and they won't need to see you every day will they? What masters are you doing btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Thanks for your reply! I'm doing the MA in Literature and Publishing. I had it in my head that I was going to Galway for the year, then someone said to me today that I probably wouldn't have to stay there for the summer and it's only then that I realised that maybe I wouldn't!

I only know one single person in Galway :eek: Believe it or not I have never set foot in Galway in my life and I'm heading there tomorrow for the first time to look for accommodation. My course intro is on Friday!

I'm quite the disaster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A friend of mine did that course two years back and loved it. Galway's a fun city, well i'm bias as I'm born and bred here, but people are pretty friendly about the place. Get involved in societies if you can.

Dublin wise, i think it wouldnt be a prob to move back to do your thesis, my friend was from Donegal and headed back once college ended and we didnt see her till sept!

Thanks for your reply! I'm doing the MA in Literature and Publishing. I had it in my head that I was going to Galway for the year, then someone said to me today that I probably wouldn't have to stay there for the summer and it's only then that I realised that maybe I wouldn't!

I only know one single person in Galway :eek: Believe it or not I have never set foot in Galway in my life and I'm heading there tomorrow for the first time to look for accommodation. My course intro is on Friday!

I'm quite the disaster :D

Yeah I'm pretty much the same, (doing culture and colonialism) didn't know anyone until I met my wonderful new flatmates *waves*. You don't have accom yet though? Isn't that leaving it a bit late? Good luck in the hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

Galway's a deadly spot - ya won't be lonely. I did my undergrad and one post grad there. Re doing your thesis at home, I'd say that's a positive. When I did mine I only needed to meet my supervisor once during that summer.

It's so small compared to Dublin you'll find your way around in no time.

Re accommodation, if its NUIG your going to you'll get cheap accommodation around the Newcastle area. City Centre of course is good too but probably more pricey. Nuns Island, Dominick Street, The Claddagh are all central.

• Advertisement

Galway's a deadly spot - ya won't be lonely. I did my undergrad and one post grad there. Re doing your thesis at home, I'd say that's a positive. When I did mine I only needed to meet my supervisor once during that summer.

It's so small compared to Dublin you'll find your way around in no time.

Re accommodation, if its NUIG your going to you'll get cheap accommodation around the Newcastle area. City Centre of course is good too but probably more pricey. Nuns Island, Dominick Street, The Claddagh are all central.
    Cheers for the advice guys!

brianthebard, yep, it sure is late :rolleyes: I was going to take a year out and go to France, but the job I had lined up kind of fell through last minute the other day unfortunately, so it's Galway now rather than next year! Luckily I've a cousin there whom I can stay with while I'm searching for somewhere though. Otherwise I'd be more freaked than I am! Absolutely everyone I speak to says "Oh my God, you'll LOVE Galway, it's such a great place!" though... so my expectations are high lol :)

Cool, I'll keep and eye out for you! :D

Ya you probably will see me, I'll be the girl living in the box on the street :D

Lolz I half considered camping on campus for the year at one point.

Ahhh I'm reminiscing. Would love to start College there all over again. Best years of my life - grreat memories :)

• Advertisement

Ya you probably will see me, I'll be the girl living in the box on the street :D
    No, wait, scrap that! I've found a place in town... Whoop whoop! Relief :)

Well done, good luck in the new course.

I'll second that. Enjoy :)

Advertisement