Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

animal waste in brown bin (Dublin city council)

Options
  • 02-09-2008 3:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing you can't but I figure I'll ask anyway:

Does anyone know if you can put animal (namely dog) waste in a Dublin City Council brown bin?

It strikes me that if you can put the food you'd feed the dog in, you can put what it becomes in! Also we've gotten some biodegradable bags that would fit perfectly on the pooper scooper and would also go into the bin no bother.

So does anyone do it already and have they asked the council if they are allowed to or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I presumed you could only put what you'd put in a compost bin into a brown bin. i.e. no raw/cooked meat, no cooked food in general. you can put animal waste from herbivores in compost but seeing as dogs eat meat it's not really "green" waste that they produce is it? so I'm guessing, no. but you should really contact the Co. Co. to find out for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

my brown bin you can put in meat and bone. dont know about dog sh1t. but it would suit me if you could. i throw out loads of the stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I presumed you could only put what you'd put in a compost bin into a brown bin. i.e. no raw/cooked meat, no cooked food in general. you can put animal waste from herbivores in compost but seeing as dogs eat meat it's not really "green" waste that they produce is it? so I'm guessing, no. but you should really contact the Co. Co. to find out for sure.
    whitser wrote: »
    my brown bin you can put in meat and bone. dont know about dog sh1t. but it would suit me if you could. i throw out loads of the stuff.

Yeah, the Dublin City Council bins allow for meat, bones and fish - they don't specify if it has to be raw or cooked so I assume both are allowed.

Here's the list of accepted waste (pdf file). Obviously it doesn't say animal waste there but I can't see why it would be unacceptable.

Advertisement