Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Latitude D520 Laptop Problems

Options
  • 02-09-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I need major help. My parents' laptop was attacked by two Trojans and since then there have been numerous problems with it:

-minimizes programs
    -keyboard doesn't work and types 'b' and 'n/' by itself
    -goes back through webpages without prompting
    -on start-up, it goes straight to the (f8) menu on it's own

We managed to get rid of the viruses but these problems still persist.

Any help you can give me is much appreciated.

Emma
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Get whatever personal data you can off it, format and re-install, once the spyware gets in as much as it looks you'll never get rid of it. You should have all the cd's you need to re-install that you got with the laptop, if you don't they're all downloadable assuming you've access to another pc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are there any essential files that you have on this laptop that you want to keep? I would suggest a reinstall of windows, but this would result in a loss of all data, unless you had a way of backing it up. You could try booting in safe mode and running AVG virus/spyware scanner in safe mode before doing the fresh install of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emmambhyland

I've already gotten as much personal info off of it as I can.

So, I just reinstall everything yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emmambhyland

I'll try that, how do I reinstall windows though?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,257 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

erm, before you install windows - since I consider it a last option for novices - go to this page and try out the instructions. ActorSeeksJob might just be able to help you.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

You may have gotten rid of the original viruses but they may also have directed new attacks to your machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bbtex

Check every DVD u burnt, memory sticks, everithing that can carry viruses before u start to use it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I'll try that, how do I reinstall windows though?

If you're unsure how to re-install ring Dell, you get lifetime support with your laptop. There should be a windows xp/vista re-install cd as well as a "driver and utilities" cd. It's handy enough and should only take about 2 hours.

Advertisement