Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental problem

Options
  • 02-09-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi all hope someone can help me with this, basically had rented out house and tennant put esb in their own name, tennant has now moved out thank god had nightmare!!! ESB bill arrived for tennant but i have no forwarding address for them what do i do?? i dont want to have to pay it as their mess is after costing me a fortune! thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

A meter reading should have been taken at the time of the end of the tenancy. Any outstanding bills should have been accounted for before return of the tenant's deposit.

As for the tenant moving on, there is nothing you can do. You won't get them to pay the bill at this stage. I have heard of the ESB being fairly understanding of this situation, so they may wipe the slate clean when the ESB account is changed to another name (i.e. the new tenant). But I have no experience of this, maybe someone else can clarify that point, or else just ring the ESB customer care line.

Next time, get meter readings at the beginning and end of the tenancy, and ensure the bills are cleared by the tenant for what they owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This happened me last year. I rang the ESB and they said no problem, send us the current meter reading and also a copy of your lease and we'll create a new account for you. Which they did, and I was not liable for the previous occupants bills. I think they went after the landlord for that.

Advertisement