Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilimanjaro, any first hand advice?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

A group of 4 of us are climbing Kilimanjaro in Feb 09, just wondering if anyone on boards has climbed this mountain....and would like to share some pointers?

We have a good deal of trekking experience so we are hoping fitness will not be an issue.....but i'm sure there is plenty of stuff we will forget or over look!

What company did you trek with?
    What route did you take, and at what time of the year?
    Was it really cold at night in tents at the higher camps?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

jusmeig wrote: »
    A group of 4 of us are climbing Kilimanjaro in Feb 09, just wondering if anyone on boards has climbed this mountain....and would like to share some pointers?

Hi, I'm just about to climb - leaving on Sept 19th, very excited but a bit nervous at the same time. I'll be able to give you a run down in late Sept if I'm still alive!

In the meatime, this forum makes interesting reading:

http://boards.bootsnall.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/65000945216

regards,

HughC

PS we're (group of about 20) going with Adventure Alternative based in Belfast.

Hugh

Made it!

2898824012_8e5b012329.jpg

stats:

group size: 22
    made it to Stella: 21
    made it to Uhuru: 19
    altitude related sickness: 3
    deaths: 0

worst thing about Kili: long drop toilets, seriously, get used to finding a rock with a view

best thing about Kili: the mountain itself, craic in the mess tent.

I didn't use Diamox, I did use iodine in my platypus and added 3-4 tabs of rubex (makes it bearable). sleeping is tough at altitude, thinking is tough at altitude.

If you have specific questions, fire away or PM.

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Some achievement, Great photo! Maybe there should be a summit pic thread.

Advertisement