Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 on 1 intermediate lessons

• 01-09-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

How much would you think a 1 on 1 2hr lesson would be, for someone who's past beginner? and where's the best place to take a 1 on 1 lesson?

I've been falling off the board now for nearly 3 summers and I think I'm deteriorating each summer. I want to improve and I feel that a 1 on 1 lesson is the way to go before I get any worse.
    Last year I was getting up at least, this year I seem to be getting up less and less and certainly amn't getting any better. I only get out once every couple of weeks, I also want to move onto a smaller board, I've a 7' 6'' Bic.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

How much would you think a 1 on 1 2hr lesson would be, for someone who's past beginner? and where's the best place to take a 1 on 1 lesson?

I've been falling off the board now for nearly 3 summers and I think I'm deteriorating each summer. I want to improve and I feel that a 1 on 1 lesson is the way to go before I get any worse.
    Last year I was getting up at least, this year I seem to be getting up less and less and certainly amn't getting any better. I only get out once every couple of weeks, I also want to move onto a smaller board, I've a 7' 6'' Bic.

I've been thinking the same thing myself, I seemed to have hit a pretty steep part of the learning curve. Someone told me Ben's Surf Clinic in Lahinch is supposed to be excellent for those sort of lessons. He'll take you out to the reef if you're up for it, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Yeah Ben is good craic, he hangs around Bundoran and Lahinch a lot. If you get a few friends together he will do small groups with a video camera set up on shore and a classroom session afterwards. I've never taken a surf lesson in my life, but I do know that 1 on 1 is probably overkill, while you are riding waves and coming back etc, an instructor can't just wait out there, they'd be surfing away :)

also AFAIK his names not actually Ben :P

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

ola!!
    i 2 am thinkin of gettin 1 on 1 lesson prob in inchydonney started surfin in july since i got my board finding it so hard to stand i think i should of got thicker board!!!:eek: thinkin of headin out 2moro looks like there should b some good waves!:D
    where is the best place to get waxs??? on line or tubes i think sex wax is good so prob will stick with that brand, cold water its d purple one i should b getting rite???

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Ben in Lahinch, any idea how much he's charging?

I need something other than practice, if I were able to get out twice a week I'd probably figure it out over the summer but since it's only once a week during the summer months or even less it's easy to see the years go by with little progress made.
    I feel that if I let another summer go without making headway it'll just be another summer waisted, not enjoying it as much this year because of the lack of progress.

I took a lesson when I started a couple of years ago and learned more in that couple of hours than I would in summer in the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I watched Ben (or whatever his name is) take a group out one day and I surfed alongside them for most of the time. At start they were having trouble even standing so he quickly brought them ashore for basic stuff. Then out again. He was with them all day and the progression they made was very impressive. Someone was filming them from shore also for after.
    He was on his own board but he would very rarely surf himself unless the learners were given specific stuff to go practise on. Most of the time he paddled alongside everyone as they went for waves and then would pull back to let them take it. He was very good at motivating them as they paddled for waves, pushing them harder and harder each time.
    Probably the most impressive part of his teaching was the positivity he gave to everyone as they tried. He was really willing them on. No matter how many times they wiped out he was still there explaining what they did right and what they needed to change.
    I never took lessons with him myself but seeing as I was surfing alongside them for the company I learned a lot and he threw a few pointers my way too. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leinsterfan

Yeah, I've taken a good few lessons with ben over the past two summers, great guy really helpful. Couldn't recommend it more if you're past the absolute begginer level taught in the surf schools, but still need some help with basics, or whatever level you are, Ben's the guy to go to.
    cue wrote: »
    seeing as I was surfing alongside them for the company I learned a lot and he threw a few pointers my way too.

Yeah, typical Ben pretty much sums him up really. Send him an email and he'll let you know prices and the like. I'd advise against a 1 on 1, probably a waste of money as he always keeps his groups small anyway, no more than 6 even in the height of summer, and always makes sure everyone gets plenty of attention. Anyway, hope that helps, heres the link to his website
    http://www.benssurfclinic.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Um, I hate to p*ss on your parade, but falling off and not progressing after three years isnt intermediate territory, its back to a basic lesson. As for going shorter than a 7 6, why? If you cant stand and cruise on most waves three years into it, why bother going for a shorter board? You will spend more time trying to master paddling a shorter board let alone standing on one.

K-

Kell wrote: »
    Um, I hate to p*ss on your parade, but falling off and not progressing after three years isnt intermediate territory, its back to a basic lesson. As for going shorter than a 7 6, why? If you cant stand and cruise on most waves three years into it, why bother going for a shorter board? You will spend more time trying to master paddling a shorter board let alone standing on one.

K-

true a basic lesson would be helpful but most of it would be wasted with the very basics, my problem is inconsistency some days are better than others and I'm much further on than a beginner, I want someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong, a beginners tutor could do that of course but I'd prefer to get some tips and sort this out in an hour or so, I want to move on and then onto a less cumbersome board.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I think the problem with consistency is just a matter of getting out more often.
    What I find is when I leave it a few weeks between getting out it feels like I've gone back a few steps.
    When I get out 3 days in a row, I'm buzzing and nothing can hold me back!

Work on your gym fitness and then go out for a few days in a row and see what happens! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I'm thinking about going on this weekend in Bundoran

http://www.bundoransurfco.com/Calendar/IntSurfWeekend.asp

Have never heard anything about it, reviews etc. But I've heard the surfco are a good bunch.

I'm struggling getting a good top turn, catching waves, pop-ups, and a nice bottom turn are going well for me, just can't get a nice quick top turn. And my backside turns are too slow.

I'd probably be heading up by myself as my main surf buddy is gone travelling. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 milka

The Bundoran SurfCo are really good I've found anyway. Been there three times now, twice with friends and once on my own which is grand too. Sometimes you just have to go it alone if it means getting out on the water. They're really friendly up there anyway and every day I've been out there, there have been some pretty decent waves.

will3k wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going on this weekend in Bundoran

http://www.bundoransurfco.com/Calendar/IntSurfWeekend.asp

Have never heard anything about it, reviews etc. But I've heard the surfco are a good bunch.

I'm struggling getting a good top turn, catching waves, pop-ups, and a nice bottom turn are going well for me, just can't get a nice quick top turn. And my backside turns are too slow.

I'd probably be heading up by myself as my main surf buddy is gone travelling. :o
    looks like good value for money, I've been quoted 90euro for a 2hr 1on1 session somewhere else, seems the Celtic Tiger is alive and well:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

90 euro for a 2hr lesson. That is laughable. What a cheeky prick whoever tried to charge you that.

Sounds like you surf only in the summer?? If so, why? Im no kelly slater but that sounds like your problem right there, you just need more time in the water man.

Not the answer you wana hear but seriously, the more you get out the more you will iron out your inconsistent days. Doubt theres any point in moving to a smaller board if you havent got the hang of the board you have at the moment.

Anyhoo, a lesson off Ben sounds like a good idea too. Ive seen him giving lessons before out in lahinch and he does indeed come across as a good teacher.

Sounded very steep to me too that's why I mentioned it, Looks like Ben is not responding to website queries, I'll try him by phone.
    Yeah winter surf is difficult, last winter I only got out a couple of times, it's only weekends and I'm usually only off on Sundays, could be different this winter, we'll see.
    I'll get a beginners lesson again, start from scratch and try to get more sessions in, think I'll have to try to get afternoons off every so often.

Result.
    Some advice for anyone who's not progressing very much over a year or so from their initial attempts, I highly recommend taking a refresher lesson.;)

I've taking a group lesson with Ben (Cathal I think is his real name) and he's put me straight, I've picked up so many bad habits over the past couple of summers that I've had to completely relearn my technique. Plenty of practice required of course but at least I won't be wasting anymore time out there for the rest of this year anyway.
    I could have been practicing my bad habits for another year easily and probably only managing to find workarounds for problems I have with the core technique.

Anyway I found him pretty good, I recommend him.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I highly recommend taking a refresher lesson.;)

I had a feeling that was the case. Even at that, you will still find some days of pitching off the front or rolling off the back of your board. Dont get frustrated, just keep doin it till it comes right.

Oh- and the best piece of advice? Surf every spare second god sends you- and then some.

K-

Advertisement