Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padded cycling shorts

Options
  • 01-09-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm going on my first cycling holiday next month and I'm wondering are padded cycling shorts a necessity? We'll be doing 18-32 km a day over 4 days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

For that kind of distance, probably not. A pair of padded, baggy shorts would do the trick, if you were concerned about looks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm going on my first cycling holiday next month and I'm wondering are padded cycling shorts a necessity? We'll be doing 18-32 km a day over 4 days.

Hi! It depends on your bike, and your saddle.

I would recommend that you use padded shorts, or padded underwear taht you can wear under your normal shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

Thanks everyone! I might get the padded underwear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Don't forget to buy a clean pair for each day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Not necessary but sure makes cycling a hell of a lot more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi, have to say that the padded shorts/ cycling underwear (or both) are the best thing for the holiday. Change daily/ often if possible or wash them as they will get sweaty. When looking at buying them check out the padding itself as some are much better than others. What you want is seamless and made of a smooth top layer (next to skin) so they won't chafe. It's generally best to wear the shorts next skin but you might prefer not to do that so the padded cycling underwear under the shorts could be best. Also, a product that is very good at preventing saddle sores is the ASSOS Chamois Cream. A bit on you and on the pad each day and you are well sorted. Generally speaking the best gear for the holiday is cycling stuff as it is the most practical. Definitely recommend mitts (gloves) especially ones with gel as they will look after you hands while cycling - not to mention, should you fall! Recommend bring some of your own spares (pump, tube etc.). Enjoy the holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

Thanks for this!

I'm looking at a Avenis, Polaris and Ron Hill brands, are those any good do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thanks for this!

I'm looking at a Avenis, Polaris and Ron Hill brands, are those any good do you know?

I have a jersey from Polaris and it is of good quality.
    I haven't heard of the other brands so can't say anything about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi I second RAAMs point, though I do know the Ron Hill stuff, they make a lot of running gear (think I have some) so they are probably ok. As I said look out for the features which may not necessarily imply a big brand name. One of my most comfortable pair (with the nice padding, smooth surface, no seams etc.) comes fromeither Aldi or Lidl. Also some manufacturers do 'lady-specifc' which I believe means the padding hits you slightly differently (!) but most stuff you come across is pretty unisex. It might be a bit of a means of making more money, though my wife has some and likes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hi

Have started taking spin classes, and boy, does my bum hurt!!!! I was wondering if anyone would recommend some good padded shorts I can wear to the gym for spin class.

thanks
    peanuthead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

sorry, but where can you get an organised group cycling holiday in November? Of course southern hemisphere, but up here?

Leaving the cold aside, visibility is compromised (fog and short days).

I've just come back from a trip in early October, for which I was very lucky weatherwise, though short days did affect ... but November ... it's _really_ pushing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

stabu wrote: »
    sorry, but where can you get an organised group cycling holiday in November? Of course southern hemisphere, but up here?

The thread was started on September 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

el tonto soy yo entonces :-D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

stabu wrote: »
    el tonto soy yo entonces :-D

Que gracioso

Advertisement