Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tronic adaptors

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I met a guy on a campsite at the weekend who had ones of these adaptors,he got it in lidl or aldi.
    it allows him to run tv dvd and heater off his solar panels,can anyone tell me where I would get one.
    he got his ages ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

What is it? A transformer/inverter of some kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Soulds like an inverter...12volts in from leisure battery and it converts to 230volts AC. Handy to have for for occasional use but can run down your battery as there not very efficient. Here's one on ebay but Halfords/Maplin stock them.
    For TV's etc your probably best getting something like a 15" LCD as they all typically have 12v dc inputs these days so no transfromers wasting energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

He had it plugged into the sockets which he ran from the solar panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Sounds like an inverter. I dont kno why he doesn't use the electrical hook up if he was at a site? As stapler said 12V LCD TVs and DVD palyers etc are very common these days. Depending on the camper he should have a gas heater too.

Perhaps if you were wild camping it might be useful but it would eat away at your battery fairly quickly.

I'm not sure if "wild" camping, TVs, DVDs, electric heaters all go together.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

*Kol* wrote: »
    Sounds like an inverter. I dont kno why he doesn't use the electrical hook up if he was at a site? As stapler said 12V LCD TVs and DVD palyers etc are very common these days. Depending on the camper he should have a gas heater too.

Perhaps if you were wild camping it might be useful but it would eat away at your battery fairly quickly.

I'm not sure if "wild" camping, TVs, DVDs, electric heaters all go together.:)

TVs and DVDs are OK with solar, but electric heaters are no go - unless you have your roof covered with panels.
    My 15" LCD only uses 2 amps - lidl 12v satellite uses 1 amp.
    You have to have at least a 50 watt panel, if you want anything more than some lights and a water pump.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

If this Power inverter is plugged to the Cigar lighter of a car, and then you have your TV or what ever plugged into the inverter.. do you still need to add a grounding wire, or will the cigar lighter do the grounding for you ??

Advertisement