Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Finals Thread

Options
  • 01-09-2008 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

AFL_finals.png

Week one

1st Qualifying Final: 1st seed hosts 4th seed
    2nd Qualifying Final: 2nd seed hosts 3rd seed
    1st Elimination Final: 5th seed hosts 8th seed
    2nd Elimination Final: 6th seed hosts 7th seed

The 8 finalists are split into two groups for the opening week of the Finals Series. The top four teams play the two Qualifying Finals. The winners get a bye through to Week Three of the tournament, while the losers get home games in Week Two. The bottom four teams play the two Elimination Finals, where the winners advance to Week Two away games and the losers' seasons are over. Drawn matches continue into extra time until a winner is decided, with the exception of the Grand Final which is replayed in the following week.

Week two
    Starting with this week, all matches are knockout rounds, because the second chance only applies to the first week.

1st Semifinal: Loser of 1st QF hosts winner of 1st EF
    2nd Semifinal: Loser of 2nd QF hosts winner of 2nd EF

Week three
    1st Preliminary Final: Winner of 1st QF hosts winner of 2nd SF
    2nd Preliminary Final: Winner of 2nd QF hosts winner of 1st SF

Week four
    Grand Final: Winners of 2 PFs meet at the MCG

Week One fixtures -

Friday, September 5

Second qualifying final: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs at MCG (5.50pm WST)

Saturday, September 6

First elimination final: Adelaide v Collingwood at AAMI Stadium (12pm)
    Second elimination final: Sydney v North Melbourne at ANZ Stadium (5.30pm)

Sunday, September 7

First qualifying final: Geelong v St Kilda at MCG (12.40pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Cheers Xavi, I was totally lost last year when they started to talk about preliminary-final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

Have to think it'll be Geelong and Hawthorn going through on the top 4, Doggies haven't been the same team the last couple of weeks and st kilda arent in geelongs league.

would hope adelaide beat collingwood and not sure about sydney/north melbourne, will be a tight game I think but north melbourne should win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

collingwood are the side that wreck my head. And I'd say their supporters really dont know what to make of them. They have the ability to beat any side on any day, can perform brilliantly and destroy teams. And then on the next day they'll lose at home to Fremantle, or the bombers etc, games they should easily win. They could easily cause an upset if they get past Adelaide, and as said above, the Doggies havent been playing well for a while now. Hawks could well turn Geelong, but its hard see past them winning the flag again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

W00t! I'm off to the Cats and St. Kilda on Sunday...for FREE!!!

I reckon the Cats will stuff them...but hey, should be an interesting day out!

Advertisement