Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Sky HD Box

Options
  • 01-09-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

A friend of mine recently moved house and decided to cancel his Sky package. He gave me his Sky HD box as he had no use for it. I currently only have the normal Sky package and was thinking of upgrading to Sky +.

Can I just replace the old box with the HD box or will I need to contact Sky in order to use the new box?

At the moment I'm not really bothered about the HD subscription - it's more the Sky + capability I'm interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

collie77 wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently moved house and decided to cancel his Sky package. He gave me his Sky HD box as he had no use for it. I currently only have the normal Sky package and was thinking of upgrading to Sky +.

Can I just replace the old box with the HD box or will I need to contact Sky in order to use the new box?

At the moment I'm not really bothered about the HD subscription - it's more the Sky + capability I'm interested in.

Yup, you'll have to contact sky and they will be able to pair your sky+ subscription to that box, not sure if they will have to send you out a new sky card aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

When I moved from my old Sky box to Sky+ I was able to use my existing card. What you will need to do is get a quad lnb (usually some on sale on Adverts.ie) to get the full use of the HD box as a Sky+ receiver. If your dish is reasonably accessible you should be able to do the job yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Sky + requires two cables so thats why you need the quad lnb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 collie77

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So I need a Quad thing and an extra cable.

If I don't I can still use the Sky + but it'll limited as I can't watch one channel and record another... but I also have to contact Sky to match things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 collie77

I plugged out my old box and tryies the new one... it seems that sky thinks I'm in the UK as I have all their channels now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

That happens with all boxes when you remover the card it defaults back the UK channel line up. It will rectify its self once you put your card back in or else when you ring sky to get your card paired with the box. I think!

Advertisement