Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to use veg oil for home heating

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again-I need to get a fill of oil in the next couple of weeks and I am curious if the same principles used for bio diesel in cars could be adapted for home heating.

The price of home heating oil at the momment would make the 60c/L oil in tesco a good option.

Has anyone done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jobrok1

Here's one crowd that supply waste oil burners for heating.

http://www.futureoils.com/Products.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    It's that time of year again-I need to get a fill of oil in the next couple of weeks and I am curious if the same principles used for bio diesel in cars could be adapted for home heating.

The price of home heating oil at the momment would make the 60c/L oil in tesco a good option.

Has anyone done this?

You have to inform revenue and pay the relevant tax. If you don't you are evading tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

If I can do it I have no issue with paying tax on it. I would hate to see the Government short of a few bob!

The problem is that it's tax'd the same as fossil fuels, so you may not end up saving that much. And I wouldn't like to have to haul 1000, or 300 3l, bottles home from Tesco and fill the tank it'd take ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

when you start looking at cooking oil in the 1000l qunitities they deliver. I would talk to a catering supplier for this amount. The cost is one thing but security of supply would be a big factor.
    They grown the veg oil in fields-the diesel has to be dug out of the ground in the middle east and they dont seem to be making any more of it!

• Advertisement

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    when you start looking at cooking oil in the 1000l qunitities they deliver. I would talk to a catering supplier for this amount.

Most wholesellers would only have the 25l drums as their largest quantity, since kitchens don't need more then this, so you still need to empty 40 drums and lifting 40 of them upto the top of a tank would be fun.
    The cost is one thing but security of supply would be a big factor.
    They grown the veg oil in fields-the diesel has to be dug out of the ground in the middle east and they dont seem to be making any more of it!

But they use diesel to sow it, diesel to fertilise it(with oil based fertiliser), diesel to harvest it, diesel to process it(or other fossil fuel based energy), diesel to deliver to the wholeseller and then finally diesel to deliver it to you. And AFAIK most bio fuels return very little extra energy over whats put in and some are energy negative.

Advertisement