Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonna be in Super Potato........

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

....in the next month or so.

My question is - Anyone got a suggestion for 1 must have game ? I'm hoping to pick up a Neo Geo also.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ah electric town! I was there last December and it's always a pleasure to see a country where arcades and retro culture are still alive and well! As far as super potato goes prepare to go into a fit of retrolepsy.... As far as picking up some stuff goes I could go on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

*adds retrolepsy to list of words to be used later* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're going to get a Neo then think very hard about choosing between a home AES and arcade MVS. The prices of most AES games will just make you cry. Metal Slug is one of the worst offenders, costing $2000 for a home cart.

Check out this price guide and you'll see what I mean - http://www.neo-geo.com/guides/aesguide.html

On the other hand you can get an MVS arcade kit and either have it in a cab, consolize it or use it with a supergun. The game carts are much much MUCH cheaper and it does the same thing.

Enjoy Super Potato anyway! Make sure you bring a camera :) I'm just looking at some pics of it now and it looks mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm not gone for a few weeks - so I'd love a suggestion or too !

I was thinking of picking up a Japanese version of MarioKart on the SNES, I have a boxed PAL version as it is, but its just a game that I love dearly !

@oisin: I was thinking of going AES, but if they have a arcade one there...I could be tempted. Just can't buy too much, as I'll be visiting 5 or 6 cities over there, and don't want to get it b0rked from being thrown around inside a case.

My whole reason for wanting a Neo Geo harks back to drooling on the back pages of C+VG and wondering why the games cost 100GBP each :pac:

PS - I'll see if I can pick up a new Tokyo Marui brochure while im there too ;)

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    g a Neo Geo harks back to drooling on the back pages of C+VG and wondering why the games cost 100GBP each :pac:

I think we've all been there at one point. It's similar to wonder why junkies take crack. Once you've experimented with it all your money will soon be gone :eek:
    PS - I'll see if I can pick up a new Tokyo Marui brochure while im there too ;)

heh, Isn't it crazy how every cool toy seems to come from Japan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

I was thinking of picking up a Japanese version of MarioKart on the SNES, I have a boxed PAL version as it is, but its just a game that I love dearly !

Wow. I was lucky enough to be there last year, and did just that. Also got a bunch of SFII stuff. Mmm.

Best place in the world. I've been schemeing ever since how to get back.

So between this and that other thread about getting an arcade cab for around €130 (Congrats, Oisin), I'm pretty fuppin jealous right now!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

I had'nt a clue what "Super Potato" was until I googled it and watched a video on youtube................omg:eek::eek:,You're one lucky guy.If it was me I'd be bringing a shed load of cash and pick up a Virtual Boy or a Neogeo...........and some snes games with the change:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

now with the Neo geo price list on neo geo.com it has been well out of sync for the past few years,

Now i suggest getting something like a panasonic Q the reason i say this is, because you have to have serious cash to really appreciate a Aes, sure you can get a few games for cheap like sam sho1,2, but the majority of the aes games are very high. Having a Aes i have spent whole paycheck on just 1 game.

though if ya want to go down the 300 euro + game route do cause it is seriously something else clutching a neo geo cartridge and jamming it into the console for some 2D Loving. if you want to spend big bucks one game you have to get is Garou Mark of the Wolves, and the second cheapest Metal slug is 4 or 5, 1 is out of the question unless its a conversion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pick us up a copy of Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai and some of those used schoolgirl panties that come out of the vending machines, I'm running a bit low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm defo gonna try and pickup the AES. I've got a nice collection of consoles going, and it would be nice to add it. I've also read you can hack it a bit to play the MVS carts, ala giant style Action Replay.

Radiant Silvergun...I love that game, would be nice to have a copy to stand beside my Ikaruga for the Cube.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've also read you can hack it a bit to play the MVS carts, ala giant style Action Replay.

Yep, and they're super expensive! Seem to be at least $200-$250. And her I was thinking the Megadrive Nitro adapter was pricy.

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/snk-capcom-sammy-hardware/super-mvs-convertor-ii-mvs-aes-blue-led-snmc-acc-detail.htm

There is a good list online somewhere of AES carts that you can get for under $100. Can't seem to find it at the moment though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can modify the MVS cartridges into AES cartridges but this is considered absolute sacrilege among rtero enthusiasts and rightly so.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can modify the MVS cartridges into AES cartridges but this is considered absolute sacrilege among rtero enthusiasts and rightly so.

It's actually after making some MVS games a lot more expensive than they should be. Best example is probably Metal Slug. An AES cart costs $2000+. So lots of the MVS ones have been converted. Leaving the ones left rarer and more expensive. :mad:

So yes, no cart converting kplsthnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

2000+ for a cart ? I'll stick with NeoRageX thank you :)

TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's actually after making some MVS games a lot more expensive than they should be. Best example is probably Metal Slug. An AES cart costs $2000+. So lots of the MVS ones have been converted. Leaving the ones left rarer and more expensive. :mad:

So yes, no cart converting kplsthnx.

technically you need 2 games for Metal slug 1 you needa King of fighters 95 aes and a metal slug one mvs, because the boards are similar so most people would just convert the Kof95 back into MVS but there are ways where you can have sam sho II and Metal slug in 1 cart with a flick of switch, but to be honest Metal slug is also a high price because its one of the best games on the neo/it is still making money in arcade distrubtors.

Advertisement