Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which gym in carlow?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey there,
    I know this topic was already discussed some time ago ( I have made research) , but I hope there are changes since.
    I have move recently to Carlow and now is the time to pick a gym and of course i dont know which one...
    I understand there are:
    - McFit gym
    - 7 Oaks
    - Talbot
    and i founds some further ones on the net:
    - Riverside Health & Fitness Club
    - Educo
    - any new ones???
    I haven't been to any of them - before going I would want to know your opinions about them.
    Normally i would make my decision based on ( from most important) : trained and helpful staff, cardio equipment, machines, free weights, sauna, pool, price, opening hours, not totally over crowded, localisation.
    Any comments would be useful,
    cheers,
    raffles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

riverside is definitely closed a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

you need a car really to be a member of talbot unless you live nearby. or else the 2 in the town - seven oaks & the other one (one without a pool).

i have been a member of talbot & seven oaks, moved to talbot this year again from seven oaks - no real reason - knowing me i could move back again next year:D

talbot much bigger gym floor - and they have an incredible room with really expensive equipment in it ( have no idea name of it)

seven oaks has a nicer atmosphere - staff & customers are friendlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

iamhunted wrote: »
    riverside is definitely closed a few years now.
    LOL would be funny searching for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

it used to be right beside the ulster bank, part of the shopping centre. dont know if the sign is still there or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Was a member of mcfits last year.

Free weights: area is fairly small in comparision to the rest of the gym. 2 bench's beside each other and you kinda got the feeling that if both were being used you likely hit the other persons bar.

Cardio: Approx 5-6 threadmills, a couple of bikes, rowing machines x 2, hall area that had skipping ropes and class's( kick boxing, yoga, circuits etc)

Machines: a large amount of them

Price: i think it was 280 for the year

Pool: Ha Ha Ha

Crowed: only ever used this off peak times and never had any difficulties opened fairly good hours too

Staff: I joined and just did my own thing was never asked if i wanted a prog though i'm sure that they would provide you with one if you asked as the seemed pleasent enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

There is also the Ramada in Killerig....now the gym in tiny and there is no weights at all just cardio, but i have heard there are plans to make it bigger...pool is lovely, jacuzzi and steamroom. saunas are in the changing rooms so separate for male and female...staff are all sound and have a good knowledge...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Bit outside of town but has anybody heard anything about the Gym in the millrace, It is pretty close and am thinking of joining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tommycahir wrote: »
    Bit outside of town but has anybody heard anything about the Gym in the millrace, It is pretty close and am thinking of joining it.

Just a tad. I presume you're talking about the hotel in Bunclody, and not the estate in Carlow...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Have been a member of gym in Talbot since it opened. Nice gym, needs some work at the moment. keys missing from all the lockers, water very cool in the pool ( are fixing it), ab rollers held together with sellotape (i'm not joking) and most of the staff in my opinion don't have a clue. The manager Olivia is nice, but either hasn't seen these problems or cann ot get higher management to fit them.

I have also been a member of the seven oaks and hated it. thought some of the staff and a lot of the members were snobbish.

also looked at mcfitt when it opened and have a couple of friends in it. it is full of body building guys , very few girls.

despite all the above in my opinion the talbot is the best of a bad lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

testicle wrote: »
    Just a tad. I presume you're talking about the hotel in Bunclody, and not the estate in Carlow...

Yeah definitely the one in Bunclody :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

Thanks all for your help,

Ramada in Killerig - it's not that far from me, actually one guy at work goes to it. Only problem it might be it's small

McFits - no pool.... deal breaker

Bunclosy - too far

so Talbot vs Seven Oaks... just going to pay them a visit, i hope there are not many kids around lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

what about Mount Wolesley?Newly done up and a good sized pool as well ,Killerig is tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

mount wolseley is nice but they havent made the gym a huge amount bigger and they've upped all their prices, killerig is small but if your into cardio its perfect! and the pool is lovely...

Advertisement