Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to run a jacuzzi?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    We recently moved into a new place. It has an outdoor 8 person hottub/jacuzzi thing. Once emptied and refilled it takes about 8 hrs to warm up the water which means its on for 8 hrs, then on for however long people are in it for.

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to run one? I've looked online but am getting different results from everywhere. I would have thought the cost is huge as its like having the imersion on for 8hrs.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The cost varies, due to the model, I'd say. Giving us the model would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

In the states, for a 6 person tub when I was over, we worked out it cost about €20 a month, they don't heat up as much as an immersion, they never empty (most good ones will recycle/filter the water over and over), so don't need to heat fresh water, and they should be well insulated.

The top cover should be a good 2 inches thick for when it's not being used, thats where most of the heat is lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Here is the jacuzzi we have

http://www.d1spas.com/spa_selector.asp?spa=12

yea it states on their site is 28 dollars a month if you use it for 20 mins a day..hmm

I'd give them a ring directly and ask them questions like the cost to leave it on all the time, but only use it for 20 mins a day, it seems ridiculous to have to plan 8 hours ahead to use it (most I've seen are left on all the time).

However, if you do use it, they are great, and the perfect thing after a long day at work, to wake you up in the morning, or just to jump into on a lazy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have very sophisticated equipment and I can bring it round and figure it out for you. You will have to leave the house for the weekend though and leave your fridge well stocked with champagne. :D

Seriously though, I'm assuming you need to know ESB prices rather than US prices, which may differ. Measure your regular usage from your electricity meter for say two days, then leave the jacuzzi on for two days, measure units used, and compare. You will get a fair idea then.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    I'd give them a ring directly and ask them questions like the cost to leave it on all the time, but only use it for 20 mins a day, it seems ridiculous to have to plan 8 hours ahead to use it (most I've seen are left on all the time).

However, if you do use it, they are great, and the perfect thing after a long day at work, to wake you up in the morning, or just to jump into on a lazy day.

yea well it only takes 8hrs to warm it up if you change the water as new water in it comes from the hose, and is freezing. You can turn it off and leave it off for a few days then turn it back on and it will only take a few mins to warm up again.

Its made me feel a little better anyway - thought it would be a few hundred at least for the next esb bill !

sueme wrote: »
    I have very sophisticated equipment and I can bring it round and figure it out for you. You will have to leave the house for the weekend though and leave your fridge well stocked with champagne. :D

Seriously though, I'm assuming you need to know ESB prices rather than US prices, which may differ. Measure your regular usage from your electricity meter for say two days, then leave the jacuzzi on for two days, measure units used, and compare. You will get a fair idea then.

its an apartment complex so we can't find the esb meter, but I think we have a general idea as we know what esb costs per kilowatt

ESB is currently (if on day/night) 14c day and 7c night.

Your ESB meter should be in the basement, you might need a utility key to access the panel (€4 in woodies).

If you have a good filtration system on it, you'll find you don't have to change the water all that often.

astrofool wrote: »
    ESB is currently (if on day/night) 14c day and 7c night.

Your ESB meter should be in the basement, you might need a utility key to access the panel (€4 in woodies).

If you have a good filtration system on it, you'll find you don't have to change the water all that often.

lol when theres cigarette butts, leaves and other "dirt" floating around in it, I don't think that the filter will clean it out :)

thanks for all the info guys :)

Anyone have any idea how much more it would cost to have it on 24hrs a day?

I'm fairly sure it would obviously be way more no? It says on their website that it costs 28 dollars every other day for 20 mins - thats with the jets on full.

does anyone know which uses more electricity - the jets or the heating of the water? basically we're not agreeing on which is the more economical way to run it - turn it on every second day for 20 mins, or leave it on all the time

any help here is appreciated

• Advertisement

It depends on the insulation, most I've seen are left on all the time.

Ultimately, you can only check by using some sort of wattage measurement on the power cord over a week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Anyone have any idea how much more it would cost to have it on 24hrs a day?

I'm fairly sure it would obviously be way more no? It says on their website that it costs 28 dollars every other day for 20 mins - thats with the jets on full.

does anyone know which uses more electricity - the jets or the heating of the water? basically we're not agreeing on which is the more economical way to run it - turn it on every second day for 20 mins, or leave it on all the time

any help here is appreciated

I'd image the heating would... as you only have the Jets on while your in it... where as the heating would be on for 8 hours to get it heated up from cold. Or cycling every few hours if its on all the time.

Also you have to be carefully to threat the water with the correct chemicals at the correct time, as bacteria love growing the 35C temperature. This is something that lot of people in ireland don't know...

Advertisement