Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly / Dubliner's

Options
  • 31-08-2008 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

I was only 2 years old when Luke Kelly passed away - and its only recently that I've really started to appricate how great a singer he was!! His / Dubliner's music has really taken me in the last month or so. Songs like "Scorn Not his Simplicity", "The Town I Loved So Well" etc etc, are sang with so much passion, he / they was / were truely amazing singer(s) - I just wish I could have attended one of the sessions he and the Dubliner's sang at! I've been watching video's on YouTube and cant get enough of them!!!
    The only thing is, there is hardly any footage of him. A user on YT, has stated that RTE have hours and hours of footage (most unseen) of him/them but wont release it - honestly, I cant explain how sick I feel - paying for a TV Licence, the revenue of which, the majority goes to the broadcasters!!
    Irish Legends the likes of Luke and Ronnie, and our national broadcasters wont show / release footage of them!!
    Music like this should be freely available for future generations!!

Search in YT: The Release Luke Kelly Material Campaign

On another note...
    Will the likes of household names like Luke Kelly / Ronnie Drew / Christy Moore (not quite the best singer - but a truely great performer!) ever be produced again, to keep our session style music alive - is there any up and coming artist that can be even consider to be compared with these Legends!!

RIP Luke Kelly, Ronnie Drew - we'll meet for a session some time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

If you go and out and look you will find these type of ballad sessions going on up and down the country (and abroad in places like Glasgow that have a hugh Irish diaspora). I enjoy this type of music and certainly wouldn't be waiting on RTE to show any old footage they may or may not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Agree totally about luke kelly and the Dubliners i didnt appreciate them until the last few years and the video below is the most beautiful song i have ever heard and if there isnt a clutch at your heartstrings listening to this then there is somethin wrong with ya! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Curran wrote: »
    ...Christy Moore (not quite the best singer - but a truely great performer!)...

Oh. Contraversial. Christy has a voice that sounds as if its been classically trained. He's got a great range and rythm, can go from course to soft without strain, and in all technical sences, has an excellent voice. I'd consider him to have a better voice than Luke Kelly, but that's a personal thing.

Luke's voice was and is just so powerful, he never missed a note. Hearing him sing Dirty Old Town or Raglan Road. Now that's what music is all about in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My Luke kelly moement goes back to the 70s in kilmainham jail were as a kid i was with some adults who were doing some voluntary work at the jail .The Dubliners showed up for a photo pic for a new album and all went into the museam to pose. Luke saw me standing there and said to me '' will you hold me jacket for a few minutes son '' ?

I got a signed dubliners LP to take home that evening to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

CSC wrote: »
    If you go and out and look you will find these type of ballad sessions going on up and down the country (and abroad in places like Glasgow that have a hugh Irish diaspora).

I know that there are plenty of sessions going on up and down the country, and I love them - not enough of them in Dublin.
    What I was getting at is that there are no household names any more really - kids cant go to the pubs to these sessions, and if there's no household names preforming on the TV or radio - kids dont get a real interest until they are much older - unless their parents or relatives are musically talented, who may be able to influence or pass on their knowledge. I just think that the traditional ballad type singers are going to fade away slowly but surely - hopefully ill be proved wrong!

• Advertisement
Advertisement