Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky HD box no longer connected to phone line

Options
  • 30-08-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Hi

Due to the fact that we have moved from UTV to Chorus for our phone service, our Sky HD box is no longer connected to a phone line (and it isn't really practical to do so as the cable modem is a long way away from our Sky HD box).

Does this matter a damn? I remember having to 'dial in' when we were initially connected to activate the viewing card, I sometimes purchase Box Office movies/events, but other than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I dont think it does but you will have to reconnect it to get Box Office movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's only a problem if you have multiroom sky. In that case all the boxes have to be connected to the same phone line so that they can check that they're at the correct address using the caller ID.

You could try connecting it to the UPC (Chorus) phone line. Although, dial-up modems like those used in sky boxes sometimes can't cope with anything other than a normal digital telephone line i.e. from eircom.

Modems are designed to work with the type of digital encoding that a telephone exchange uses. UPC digital is likely to be using VoIP to carry voice over their cable network.

Their boxes also can't dial out over Smart Telecom lines as they're using VoiP from the exchange end.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Cheers. I do buy PPV from time-to-time, the main problem is that the UPC router is nowhere near the Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Cheers. I do buy PPV from time-to-time, the main problem is that the UPC router is nowhere near the Sky box.

Could be wrong but it is my understanding that PPV or ordering different packages can be done by calling sky. As you may have chosen to have the phone line free installation. can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement