Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB WiFi although house hard wired???

Options
  • 30-08-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All, I would like to ask if anyone who has UPC broadband if it's implemented using the wired cable (where applicable) or, when UPC installed, did they install a wireless connection (not sure what the wireless broadband technology is called)?
    The reason I'm asking is that my neighbour ordered BB from UPC for a house that is pre-wired (Chorus area) but when they came they put up a wireless receiver on the roof!
    Now I'm considering switching for broadband and telephone and was wondering:

-why they are installing these receivers in a house which is wired for cable? Why are they not utilizing the existing wired connection?
    -can they really offer broadband speeds of 20 MB over such WiFi connections?

What are your experiences with this?

Thanks. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

You sure you're not talking about the free wireless router you recieve with the 20mb package?

This package comes with a modem that connects to the co-axial tv point. Maybe the UPC (CHORUS) installer just used an upstairs tv point to plug in the modem and wireless router.

The modem is then plugged into the wireless router to broadcast the wireless signal to your pc's or laptops. There is also an option to plug your computer into the wireless router using an ethernet cable.

I currently have this setup (20mb) and here is my result as on speedtest.net

315916469.png

Hope that answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

Hi Mutz, thanks for your prompt reply. Now I'm not sure. You could be right, I may have misunderstood what my neighbour was saying (English is not his native tongue). I'll ask him again about that.
    Are you happy with your connection speed and reliability of service? Do you have the telephone option also?
    I just read the small print on the UPC website:
    "It is delivered over our cable network and can deliver lightning fast speeds of up to 20MB downstream and up to 1.5MB upstream."

Advertisement