Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Passport Portable WDXMS3200 320 GB

Options
  • 29-08-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

WD Passport Portable WDXMS3200 320 GB 109euros in PC World Carrickmines.Reduced by 40euro .Classy little portable at a good price had quite a few in stock.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

still not good deal. i got one in spain a month ago, paid e79 with a protective case for free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    still not good deal. i got one in spain a month ago, paid e79 with a protective case for free

How much did it cost you to go to Spain to buy it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

Sadly dont live in Spain !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I got one yesterday. I think the price is very good. Cheaper than Komplett and same as elara.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

I know this is an e bay shop but it is in Dundalk and I have always had terrific service and value.
    http://stores.ebay.ie/techstuffireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I got one yesterday. I think the price is very good. Cheaper than Komplett and same as elara.

I can't find that drive at all on Elara or Dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

€95 here plus delivery so 109 isn't too bad for bricks and mortar.

whiterebel wrote: »

Here's the elara one:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1497048

€110.11 without delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

€96 (excl. delivery) on Dabs. [Link]

Other colours available too, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Sorry for going off topic, does anyone know if the drives inside are sata or ide? I'd probably buy one to use in my laptop if it's ide.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

90 yoyos + 13 delivery on Pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Drakar wrote: »
    90 yoyos + 13 delivery on Pixmania

see post #8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks op have they many left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

quarryman wrote: »
    see post #8.

90 < 95! pewpew

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fnz wrote: »
    €96 (excl. delivery) on Dabs. [Link]

Other colours available too, btw.

Sorry to be pedantic, but this one and the Elara one above are diffferent drives. The PC World?Amazon one that the Op refers to is shown as a legacy product on the WD site. The ones on Elara and Dabs are the replacement for it, As far as I can see. I know there was a problem with the older Passport drives and laptops (Mac laptops anyway) that they couldn't draw enough power from the USB, and you had to buy another cable which had two USB connections at one end to power it off both ports.

Sorry to be pedantic, but this one and the Elara one above are diffferent drives. The PC World?Amazon one that the Op refers to is shown as a legacy product on the WD site. The ones on Elara and Dabs are the replacement for it, As far as I can see. I know there was a problem with the older Passport drives and laptops (Mac laptops anyway) that they couldn't draw enough power from the USB, and you had to buy another cable which had two USB connections at one end to power it off both ports.

I have a MacBook and it worked fine using the supplied USB cable.

I have a MacBook and it worked fine using the supplied USB cable.

The first ones didn't and you had to buy a separate cable with 2 USB connections. I saw it reviewed in macFormat when I was thinking of buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does anyone know if this is available in other pc world's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

They were in naas at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Just bought one off pixmania , Great price for a 320gb . handy for college and that.

• Advertisement

The first ones didn't and you had to buy a separate cable with 2 USB connections. I saw it reviewed in macFormat when I was thinking of buying one.

It does take a minute for the MacBook to recognise the drive, which is longer than it takes for another external drive (power by mains) that I have. Could this be due to the USB power? Other than that it works fine. I assume that the drive won't get damaged if it can't pull enough power from the USB, but I am not sure!!

It does take a minute for the MacBook to recognise the drive, which is longer than it takes for another external drive (power by mains) that I have. Could this be due to the USB power? Other than that it works fine. I assume that the drive won't get damaged if it can't pull enough power from the USB, but I am not sure!!

No, the problem ones wouldn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Thanks for the info. Sorry if I'm a bit slow but, you're saying that the Elara/Dabs versions linked to are improvements over the older PC World/Amazon one?

Double EDIT: I was confused, ignore previous edit. :o

Fnz wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Sorry if I'm a bit slow but, you're saying that the Elara/Dabs versions linked to are improvements over the older PC World/Amazon one?

The Elara/Dabs are on the list of current drives on the WD website, whereas the WDXMS3200 320 GB is on their list of legacy drives, i.e. past models. There MAY be a longer warranty on the newer drives, I'can't remember, to be honest.

Is there a spec comparison anywhere for these 2 drives? I assume that the new version uses less power if it fixes a problem with the older drive.

EDIT: Still think this is a bargain, but am getting a bit paranoid!

Is there a spec comparison anywhere for these 2 drives? I assume that the new version uses less power if it fixes a problem with the older drive.

EDIT: Still think this is a bargain, but am getting a bit paranoid!

Go on to the WD website, and it'll give you the spec for the new ones, and the legacy drives. I don't think you can do a side-by-side comparison, though. The USB problem was a good bit ago, I doubt you'll have a problem with it.
    The big difference is the warranty - 2years with the one originally posted, 5 years with the Elite; the one on Dabs/Elara. For only €10 more, you can get the newer one with the longer warranty on Dabs or Elara.

Advertisement