Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pagan funerary rites (and rights)

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

at the risk of being morbid, but...

can anyone tell me if there is a pagan graveyard anywhere in the country.
    i really dont want to have a catholic ceremony and i dont know how i can stop my family from going against my wishes.

can i put organise my funeral arrangements so my family have to LEGALLY abide by them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

londubh wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if there is a pagan graveyard anywhere in the country.
    No. There are some plans in some quarters to have some built, but they are rather long-term plans (unless you've a very large amount of money you'd like to donate, then they could probably become shorter-term fast! ;))
    londubh wrote: »
    i really dont want to have a catholic ceremony and i dont know how i can stop my family from going against my wishes.
    Best you can do is write a will. It could be over-ridden (unless you've an estate to deny them if they do), but they will point in the right direction at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/death/after-a-death/funerals

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/death/after-a-death/burials
    Information

Burial grounds (cemeteries) in Ireland are the responsibility of the local authorities, who operate many of them and appoint a registrar or caretaker for each of their burial ground to manage the sale of plots in that site, and in some cases to maintain the burial ground. Parishes operate some burial grounds while local groups also operate burial grounds. If you want to purchase a burial plot, you can contact your local authority to get contact details. However, many funeral directors offer to handle the purchase of burial plots as part of their package of funeral services.

It is important to point out that many burial grounds or graveyards in Ireland are already full, and there may be restrictions on the pre-purchase or buying in advance of burial plots, such as limiting advance buying to those over 65 years of age.

All burials must be registered with the local authority and the location of the grave noted. This is done by the people who manage the graveyard.

So most graveyards are these days secular.

Also the family gets the body due to the fact that most people's next of kin is their spouse or another family member. This can be changed using a solicitor and you could appoint someone who will honour your burial plan.

You could also look at having yourself excommunicated and when you get the decree put it with your burial plan so that you can not be given a christian burial.

Funeral directors do most of the organising when it comes down to it and they are usually happy to not have christain icons in they receiving room and a body can be took directly from there to the graveyard with out going to a church.

If you wished for a gathering to happen were people can talk and make speeches in a more formal setting then a wake then I would suggest that you take a look at the Humanist Association of Ireland's web site.

http://www.humanism.ie/funerals.htm They have a space which they can make available for people to use.

Advertisement