Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best car/jeep for surfing??

Options
  • 29-08-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

if money and the cost of petrol wasn't an issue mine would be a subaru legacy 4x4 turbo wagon..they're beasts!! but for now i'm going to have to stick with my corsa car-van, looking to upgrade to a suzuki jimny soon.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I bought a Mazda B-Series long bed pickup 'specially for surfing, best purchase I ever made :) Only issue with it is it only has two seats. I've gotten 10 boards and wetsuits into her at one time with ease and it only takes a second or two to load up becasue theres no strapping into racks. I just put some bungee cords across the bed to hold everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Jeez, never knew a car, or what type of car is best to improve my surfing!! Cos its all about technique, right? guys?? (Daewoo lanos, with a roofrack):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Audi RS6 big enough for the long board and 580 BHP aaaaarrrrrrrhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

a van with internal board storage space, and a bed, sink and cooker slapped into the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭amber1

I'm new to surfing and have a Lexus is200. Do I ruin it with a roof rack or give up surfing???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

ruin it, ofcourse. ;)

I think I might have to! Going to break my heart but there's definitely a true surfer chick in me trying to get out!! Just can't sell my car either...is there such thing as a snob surfer??
    Just need a rich man to get me a pajero for my beach car and I'm sorted!

snob surfer? haha, they do exist. buy yourself a subaru wagon and have the best of both worlds. surfing needs more surfing chicks, always! and no, i wont buy you a pajero, :p

Damn...worth a try!!! All the surfer chicks I ever see are fat!! How are they good at surfing!!?? I'm not really a snob...just appreciate a good car!

haha.. where have you been surfing?? i was at fanore last week where a non-fat calain was pretty, pretty damn good. lahinch on sunday seemed 50/50 though. maybe its an exercise thing? either way, the wetsuit doesn't lie.. hehe.

• Advertisement

Esp the 5mm!!! Well I'm in a size 6 wetsuit, could do with a 4...next down from that is kids! I've only been out a few times in Garretstown, Incheydoney and Brandon bay...Actually Brandon bay was too big for me last time, 8ft waves are too scary for me at the moment!! Need some surf company/help really as I split up with the fella there and he was the one that got me into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Racks dont ruin cars, Get a nice Thule rack with the Areo Bars.

Nice rack, nice car, nice cargo on the rack!

Perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gergoke/492712863/

Nice driver too then!lol

Racks dont ruin cars, Get a nice Thule rack with the Areo Bars.

Nice rack, nice car, nice cargo on the rack!

Perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gergoke/492712863/
    Christ a Porsche with a roof rack! That's just mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

yeah, thats my car!!!

someday.

I got a roof rack!!! Montblanc...removable one so I won't wreck my car!!! It was 100euro in UK as the cheapest similar one here was 195euro! Rip off Ireland at it's best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Should have checked around, could have got you one for about 150.00ish in yoyo's here in Ireland, maybe cheaper depending on your car model. How much was the carriage from the UK?

Yes I'm in the trade.
    Yes I sell roofracks.
    Yes I surf and have one.

But no, this wasn't a pitch I just give Surfers a discount! cos I am one!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

how much for a roof rack for vw golf? rain starting to get into my car with straps......

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

i found this place good for racks.. its behind the back of nyhans car garage in bandon cork.. auto accessories place hard rack either 100 or 120 yoyos!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

cheers elainee, but i'd be in the capital...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Scuba G

Just seen this post, surely a surfboard is best for surfing, a car will sink! arf arf!
    Ive a Pajero LWB and a set of Thule areo bars, does the job, my last two, a jeep cherokee and a Daewoo Musso also had racks, once you have a boot space for a basin for your wet gear and some room for your own dry stuff, then any car will do, except a smart car, although that would look very funny with a 10'6 hanging off the roof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

:DMXVWSurfBeetleRearAndWaveM.jpg
    I like! Realistically any mid-sized car with roof-racks will comfortably take a few people out surfing and stow their gear. The absolutely pants weather that often accompanies surf in this country makes getting a van very appealing!images%3Fq%3Dbeetle%2Bwith%2Bsurf%2Bboards%26start%3D60%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN

iceage wrote: »
    Should have checked around, could have got you one for about 150.00ish in yoyo's here in Ireland, maybe cheaper depending on your car model. How much was the carriage from the UK?

Yes I'm in the trade.
    Yes I sell roofracks.
    Yes I surf and have one.

But no, this wasn't a pitch I just give Surfers a discount! cos I am one!;)
    My Dad was visiting at the time so I found the local stockist and got him to bring em back! Not sure how much it would have cost otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ajsimp

I have been surfing for a good few years now and its always in the back of my mind when looking at any new car. the best car i had was a 1995 mitsubishi chariot/spacewagon with a 2l turbo diesel engine and 4wd, perfect but ungodly slow! I have a subaru legacy estate twin turbo now, its a much better all rounder but not so good on sand!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

All the surfer chicks I ever see are fat!! How are they good at surfing!!?? I'm not really a snob...
    No, obviously you're not a snob amber.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TheP

Check out the article in the Cool Area of www.bigsurf.ie on how to justify a Surf Van!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

I finally have the car of my dreams. 110 Landrover Defender. I can get my 7'6 into it no hassle and even my mountain bike. If needs be I can carry 9 people and put the boards on the roof rack. (as you may have guessed I very excited about it). :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

much and all as it hurts to admit... there are an abundance of asshole/snob/poser surfers out there... one thing i love about coming into winter now, not half as many of them around.

for me, any car would be ideal. i currently bus to one beach, and pick my board up from a mate's garage, or get my partner to drive me in our dinky little ford lasier, pull down the back seats and it'll fit.

ideally though, something i could actually sleep in, be awesome for trips around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

land rover discovery exelant of roading to get to the more romote place , loads of height so you can see around above all if its the van one you can kip in the back :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement