Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free fees applications for NI postgrads

Options
  • 29-08-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey, I'm filling in the application form for free fees. I'm a NI student and am applying to Dublin City Council for this.

However, I have been asked to get a certified copy of my passport which can be certified by the Garda or Commissioner of Oaths. I have no idea what the second one is and I asked a police person friend up here if he could sign it and he said they didn't really do that.

So... what is the equivalent? Can anyone suggest? Or have any other NI people done it and can advise that the PSNI can do it in place of Garda?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Perhaps the friend wouldn't do it because he/she was a friend, not just a PSNI officer. Try going to the local station, I can't imagine it would be a problem.

Commissioners for Oaths are usually solicitors (and thus charge for the priviledge :D). In England a Notary Public can perform the same function, might be similar in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

His concern was that he didn't think the PSNI could sign a form for the south. Plus I rang the PSNI number and the man I spoke to advised I spoke to the embassy in Dublin, despite me trying to explain what it was for. So it seems no one knows what to do in this situation.

I've emailed the Council and am waiting back to hear from them. Wasjust hoping that someone had done it before and knew what to do. This is the only thing holding up my application and I want it done as soon as possible, obviously!

But I'll look up a Notary Public, thanks!

EDIT: Actually, thanks for pointing out the Notary Public thing as I have looked it up now online and apparently under:

"Under the Solicitors (Northern Ireland) Order 1976, all solicitors are commissioners for oaths, which means that they can witness official documents other than those prepared by themselves or their opponents in a case.

In addition, these are the solicitors in Northern Ireland who are notaries public, and can witness documents for use abroad."

http://www.lawsoc-ni.org/notaries.htm

This might be helpful to other people who also didn't realise that we had Commissioner of Oaths up here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The PSNI will certify a copy of a passport, I've had it done before. You didn't mention them needing to fill in a form hence me assuming they'd do it :D

Good luck with the Notary Public anyway ;)

Advertisement