Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 Month Rule Thread

Options
  • 29-08-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

My brother has to get a full licence by Jan, for a job. Everything is sorted except for learning to drive from someone in dublin, around Ranelagh/UCD. It'll have to be a really good place because he needs to learn quick.
    Does anyone know of any decent learning centres around there?

He has a letter from the place he's going to work that will sort out the test so he doesn't have to wait. (In case your wondering)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

hey I'm the same but I got stuck because of the rule stating you have to have your learner permit 6 months before doing your test! hope it doesnt apply to your bro tho! ring ray i'll pm u his no. Cliff

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A letter from your employer seems to make little to no difference these days, but you should be able to get a test quite quickly either way. As mentioned above, your brother must have held his learner permit for 6 months on the day of his test, he may apply before the 6 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

The letter sorts out the 6 months. Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Orla K wrote: »
    The letter sorts out the 6 months. Thanks

Unfortuantely no. It does not, you still must have held your permit for 6 months, with or without a letter.

It does, we have checked it up. The only problem is looking for a place that will teach him. we have asked more than one person about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It does, we have checked it up
    If your brother holds a 1st Learner Permit in categories A, A1, B, M or W, he will have to by law wait for 6 months before doing a driving test. It's a statutory requirement!

What have you 'checked up' and with whom?

But it's a statutory requirement to have held your license for 6 months, can i ask where you got this info?
    EDIT: In before me WA, great minds think a like

When he was applying for the permit licence, he asked there. The gardai. He also checked with the place he's going to work with and the have done it before.

I don't know if he has checked with where he is going to do the test.

But anyway, I don't want to argue about that. He just needs places to learn, that's more important now.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Just take thre word on the 6 month thing coz I know two people who were refused to do a test just because they didnt held the permit for 6 month. Trust me and recheck again coz he will waste time and money.

When he was applying for the permit licence, he asked there. The gardai. He also checked with the place he's going to work with and the have done it before.
    In my experience, the knowledge of many Gardai with aspects of the licencing of drivers, is very limited.

And as for his workplace, his employers may be under the impression that a letter can still speed up the waiting times for tests, but the average waiting time is quite low anyway and they may not be aware of the new 6 month waiting time for 1st Learner Permit holders.

The use of employers' letters to speed up waiting times was more prevelant in the era when one could be waiting for 18 months for a test.

If your brother were issued with a 1st Learner Permit today, for example, he may apply for a test anytime but he may not do such a test until the 1st March 2009 at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I recently (July 2008) got my learner permit and have begun learning to drive. I have been informed that there is now a law in place saying that you are not allowed to apply for your driving test until six months after getting the learner permit.

My question is whether anyone knows if there is anyway around this rule as I will be moving abroad (for around 4-5 months) in early January and it would be fairly useful to be able to drive while away.

Is it possible that a letter from employers saying that I need a full licence for my work would help get around this rule?

The new regulations state that you must have held your learner permit for at least 6 months on the day of your test. You may apply before this. No, there is no way around this. Please read the stickies most of this is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Hey everyone,

Im newbi so sorry if this has already been asked or the ans are in the stickys but have looked through and cant see it anywhere.

I have had my 1st provisional, need to get my 2nd in oct as my first expires then. I want to apply for my driving test now. My question is will i have to wait for 6months now if I dont get my test by oct??
    Hope that makes sense!

Thanks everyone! :)

No.

noanoa wrote: »
    or the ans are in the stickys but have looked through and cant see it anywhere
    From the sticky:
    • A person who is a first time holder of a learner permit, for a motorcycle, works vehicle or car (licence categories M, A1, A, W, B and EB) cannot take a driving test for a six month period after the commencement date of the permit.

Q. When is this change coming into effect?

A. This change will apply to first time learner permit holders for motorcycles, works vehicles and cars after 30 October 2007. Any newly licenced person holding a learner permit must wait six months before taking a driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Thanks! Thank god i don't have to wait that long!

sorry must of skipped over that bit!

Threads merged.

Advertisement