Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*What would you consider the best reality show to be?*

Options
  • 29-08-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Now I know there's absolutely MILLIONS of them out there, and a lot of crap ones at that, but I must admit i DO enjoy most of them!

My faves:
    -Big Brother - excellent concept, when they were relatively normal people, but the amount of annoying freaks they put in there is ruining it :(

-Beauty & The Geek - love it, love it! :)

-Failte Towers - I know loads of people were complaining about it, but I enjoyed it :) And a great concept!

-Hell's Kitchen - Gordon Ramsay evilllll man sometimes, but that's what makes it :D

-The Apprentice

-The Restaurant - actually really enjoy this, one of the few not-f*ked up RTE reality shows!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I prefer when there is a purpose so my favourites:

Survivor
    Jailbreak - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_%28TV_series%29
    The Mole - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mole_(TV_series)
    The Apprentice

Dislike the reality show in general though...Especially when "Celebrity" is tacked on to it or it's an Irish production.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there was one on channel 4 a few years ago that lasted a week.

it was big brother style but if you closed your eyes for 10 seconds you were deemed to be asleep and were booted out of the show.

can't remember what it was called though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

They're all rubbish.

Watch better television.

Cremo wrote: »
    there was one on channel 4 a few years ago that lasted a week.

it was big brother style but if you closed your eyes for 10 seconds you were deemed to be asleep and were booted out of the show.

can't remember what it was called though.

Shattered - remember the ad for it and thought "what's the point"...Seems like horrible viewing.....

Not to turn this into worst reality stuff but does anyone remember that "Touch The Truck" show - contestants had to keep contact with a truck :pac:

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

America's Next Top Model

America's Most Smartest Model

Supernanny US

Wife Swap US

Hell's Kitchen/ Kitchen Nightmares US

And More 4 has a really cool show about a guy setting up a family run chocolate company on Thursdays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Survivor - loved this show for the first 11 or 12 seasons. Have stopped watching it now though.

The Apprentice UK - Alan Sugar is so funny and good to watch, even if he hires the wrong person (Season 1 was the only season where he got it right imo). The American version is ok, but Donald Trump loves himself waaay too much and isn't half as nasty as Sugar. The UK version is less glossy and fake aswell - so UK definitely beats American version.

American Idol - unlike You're A Star and X-Factor the contestants on AI can actually sing! And the bad auditions are hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

The Apprentice (U.K version) and thats it.

Although 'My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss' was rather entertaining.

'Reality TV', I think this has always been an Ironic label as I dont recall a reality show bearing any resemblance to the real world at all.

A reality TV show for me would be the likes of 'Airport' or 'A life of Grime', thats the nitty gritty of the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Survivor by a mile...
    Survivor - loved this show for the first 11 or 12 seasons. Have stopped watching it now though.
    Oh, last season was unreal, keep an eye out for it on TG4...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For me:

The Mole - great show that can be challenging for viewers too (bonus!)

Big Brother USA - A much different beast to the UK version - lots of scheming, alliances, double crossing, double double crossing, and a good structure.

Celebrity Apprentice this year was great fun too....

A few years back RTE did a reality show called Treasure Island which was pretty damn good, and The Restaurant is really well done too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

The Mole is just excellent!
    I am also a big fan of The Apprentice...have seen all the US and UK ones and the best one has to be the latest US celebrity one. It was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Mr E wrote: »

Big Brother USA - A much different beast to the UK version - lots of scheming, alliances, double crossing, double double crossing, and a good structure.

+1

I loved the X Factor one that was on about 4 years ago, they put an ex boy/girlfriend of all the contestants in. Was compulsive viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Six One.

or at a push. . .

Nuacht. . .

:pBell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Exocet

Survivor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

The Apprentice - Great show, have yet to watch the UK version though.

The Mole - Again a great show with some good challenges and twists.

Survivor - Last 2 seasons were a great return to form.

The Ultimate Fighter - No voting or any of that, the only way to eliminate someone is to knock 'em out!

BB USA - The season with the Dad + Daughter winning was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Survivor is great, especially the last series. The next series should be starting up soon yeah?

The Apprentice UK is good. I've only seen 2 series of Big Brother: The Celeb Hijack one in the UK and the second last one in the US, and I enjoyed both of them surprisingly. I'll probably never watch either show again though.

Love The Restaurant, except when someone I don't like does well.

+1 on Treasure Island on RTE years ago, it was good, although I remember thinking the prize was way too little.

I watch American Idol and the X Factor too. Nice easy entertainment, although they can get boring after awhile. There's only so much good singing I can take.

Britain's Got Talent is another one that is very well done. It's a million times better than that rubbish America's Got Talent.

Anyway, I watch too much reality tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction? :D

World's Wildest Police Videos
    Police,Camera,Action
    Police Stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Survivor, hands down, TKO, no competition

I am an addict though...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The Running Man (no, the book, not the f*cking film... read it, it predicted how reality TV would take over) ... or possibly The Long Walk. Now that'd make interesting telly... or probably will... in the future...

Stephen King...

Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Up Series (7up - 49up). For one thing (unlike most of the aforementioned) it has an element of reality to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Dragon's Den by a country mile. The rest are artificial crap with airheads looking for their 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lost. No not that Lost, the one that was on Channel 4 about 6 or 7 years ago. Three two person teams were blindfolded and dumped somewhere in the world, but had no idea where, and had to make it back to London with only minimal supplies and next to no money. It was similar to The Amazing Race, but a lot tougher. It didn't last very long unfortunately, probably because it was on quite late and no-one knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Dragons Den and Treasure Island that was on RTE a few years back was much better than Survivor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

When Good Pets Go Bad 1-4 , When Good Times Go Bad 1-4 and all those associated programs. Great Comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bellapip wrote: »
    Six One.

or at a push. . .

Nuacht. . .

:pBell.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm a big fan of "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?" It's absolutely hilarious. After that, I've no need for reality tv, or reality in general.

Actually I found "No Experience Required" to be quite interesting...Mainly just to see the inner workings of certain jobs and what could be expected.

🤪

Advertisement